THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

barry w

Knows what a fatty is.
I am always out for my build, when ordering smoker I opted for the 1/2" fire box. So my
Question is would the insulated fire box be better. My thought on this is 1/2" steel would have a longer life and still have plenty of heat retention. Any and all opinions please, I really want to get this right.

Take care
Barry

you will never go through 1/4" or 3/8" steel plate firebox (not sure what Paul is using now)in your life time unless you totally abuse it

Mine is a year old and looks new, I dont have the insulated box, or thicker one, just the standard one

With the insulated box you will get 1/2" worth of steel.. 1/4" inside, then 2" insulation, then 1/4" steel outside. My firebox doesn't get any hotter than my cook chamber. I love the insulated box. It's worth every penny. If you're on the fence, I reccomend it!

I fretted and mulled over the fire box for months and I think any of the options will be just fine . I did go with the insulted one but I do a lot of smoking in the winter and it gets cold as heck in Missouri . i think the 1/2" thick compared to the insulated one it is a toss up and just flip a coin IMO .

With the insulated box you will get 1/2" worth of steel.. 1/4" inside, then 2" insulation, then 1/4" steel outside. My firebox doesn't get any hotter than my cook chamber. I love the insulated box. It's worth every penny. If you're on the fence, I reccomend it!

I agree, insulated is awesome!
You'll be happy wih whatever Tyler makes, they are true craftsmen!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I like insulated Fire Boxes. I don't own one but got to cook on a cpl and I'm a Fan.

I'd LOVE to have a fully insulated Offset, FB AND Cook Chamber. Cabinet style cook chamber double wall insulated........:heh: I wonder if Paul n Tyler would build one? 48-60" 3 Grate Cook Chamber on the skinny trailer, no warmer of course............Camo Paint Job........ :mrgreen:

There is one Brand that's fully insulated - pipe inside of pipe with insulation but you don't see much of them on Interweb.....

But they say:

"AT 250 F, the thermal conductivity of steel is around 30 BTU/h*ft*F and for mineral wool is 0.304 BTU/h*ft*F. It is easy to see that steel is one hundred times a better heat conductor than insulation.

Below is a table that compares the rate of heat loss per hour through a 3/8" thick steel wall vs. an insulated steel wall (both one foot square) at different outside temperatures.

HEAT LOSS

Outside...............Smoker................... 3/8" thick............Double wall
temperature....... temperature.............. Single wall..........Insulated

100 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,250,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 144,600 BTU,,,,,,,,,545 BTU
80,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,250,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 163,200 BTU,,,,,,,,,618 BTU
60,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,250,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 182,400 BTU,,,,,,,,,690 BTU

As you can see, the heat loss difference between an insulated and non-insulated wall is about 264 times.
It is so vast that that the steel thickness is not really relevant."

Last edited:
Only thing I would change on mine would be to a insulated fire box. I will find someone to insulate it in the future. 30'' sq fire box is massive.

I got the insulated because I didn't want to have any regrets. Thought it wasn't really necessary but it does save on fuel. My old offset had a 1/4" fb and it was probably 25-30 years old. I never really took good care of it. When I sold it the fb was still in decent shape.

I too am going back and forth on whether or not to go insulated, I live in Texas so only deal with extreme cold a few months a year....Im leaning on not getting the insulated due to that reason...they dont start mine till Oct so ive git a few months to decide...ill be following this thread to help me make up my mind

My next Shirley will also not have an insulated box. The cost versus the potential in gain is just not there for me. A log every 45 minutes is pretty great already. I would put that money toward more shelving, side burners, etc...

If the cost really dleant matter then I would get the insulated.

Thanks everyone, a lot of good thoughts and info. This is a pretty good investment for a hobby but I still want it to be the best it can be for me. Shirley Fab makes it tough with all the options he has. That is a good thing. It does get pretty cold here Dec thru March. I will continue to research until I am sure. My wife tells me to get what I want.
Thank you all so much.
Take care
Barry

Thanks everyone, a lot of good thoughts and info. This is a pretty good investment for a hobby but I still want it to be the best it can be for me. Shirley Fab makes it tough with all the options he has. That is a good thing. It does get pretty cold here Dec thru March. I will continue to research until I am sure. My wife tells me to get what I want.
Thank you all so much.
Take care
Barry

that is a good wife and she is a keeper but if my wife tells me to get what I want it would have every option they could make , lol . :doh:

Yea the green light from the wife is really nice, but if I want use or need an option, no need to clutter up the smoker or the trailer. None the less this is fun. Shirley's videos and Facebook are surely complicating things. LOL!!!

I have mine ordered with the Insulated firebox despite having over 100 palm trees in my yard. I don't care about cold weather. The insulated firebox saves you on wood. Lets you sleep longer at comps/overnights. AND it keeps the kids from burning their hands off if they touch it. Not to mention the fact it will definitely help resale value.

I hate hearing people say they didn't want to fire up the big smoker just to cook a single brisket. The insulated firebox makes a big smoker act a little more like a little smoker. It heats up faster and levels out quicker. More of the heat from your fire is going into the smoker and lets you use your smoker more. Get it insulated.

Another thing that pushed me to getting the insulated fb was it just looks a little more bad a$$.:twisted:

Get the insulated firebox, I have it and it really helps you hold temps especially if you cook a little hotter like I like to... I am sure the 1/2' hold the temps great too, but like Paul said, it makes it look badass.

Yes, I agree with you on looks of the IFB. It may be all the reason I need to change. Over the life of this smoker I am sure I wouldn't regret it. By the way my build date is January 2016
Thanks for all the comments
Barry

Back