THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

zoocircle

Knows what a fatty is.
I was heading to work this morning and before I got out of the neighborhood I spotted a WSM on someone's curb. It's bulk trash pickup week so I stopped, and the owner was outside. I asked to make sure he was throwing it out and he said "yes". He says he just moved in and hasn't used it in a long time, and is thinking of getting an electric smoker in the future because of ease of use. He let me borrow his dolly and I wheeled it to my house. Having 2 WSM 18's won't hurt, if I have a friend or family member express interest in it I will give it to them.

By the looks of it, what would you do to clean/refurb it? I think I will buy new grates to get them fresh. Maybe wipe the exterior with a rag, and the insides as well. It looks to be in really good shape.

yTN1vgs.jpg

LvRYSnF.jpg

ful8V2I.jpg

Congrats! Is that just surface rust or does it go deeper? If just on the surface, I'd spray some oil on them, rub them with some sandpaper, Emory cloth, steel wool, lube them back up, and heat them up...

If it looks like it's deeper, just replace them...

you found that on the curb? wow. that is incredible. Closest I've seen to that was an ECB at a yard sale for $5. mental note: drive by that dude's house ever bulk pick up day.

That reminds me, my brother has a 22.5 WSM sitting in his garage. It's been sitting there for nearly 5 years with the tags still on it. Never used. I need to find a way to "liberate" it.

Congrats! Is that just surface rust or does it go deeper? If just on the surface, I'd spray some oil on them, rub them with some sandpaper, Emory cloth, steel wool, lube them back up, and heat them up...

If it looks like it's deeper, just replace them...

I will try this before I buy grates. Thanks for the info

Love a good score! I got the 18.5 with gaskets installed for $150 and thought that was as good as it gets. Nice work, enjoy!

Clean livin my friend...wow!!

Worth hitting it with a wire wheel attachment on a drill and some new grates....throw a fatty or two in it to season it up!

It's tough to get a better score than that.

Greased Lightning and the citrus based cleaners do a pretty good job of cleaning the smoke residue off the outside. Razor scrapers are your friends when it comes to cleaning up the insides.

If your a little OCD, disassemble it completely, clean everything thoroughly and reassemble with all stainless bolts, buts, and washers.

wow....man these things never happen to me.....been wishing someone lays out a 22" WSM on the curb but the BBQ ferry won't listen....great score, congrats

Back