Cowboy Lump almost ruined my cook

farmer-fred

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Tom
Yesterday I decided to do a hot and fast 8 lb bone in pork butt in my Trail Embers Smoker for a family get together. I started about 1/2 a chimney of royal oak , dumped in in my Hunsaker Vortex basket and filled it with Cowboy lump. I set my ATC for 365 deg and let it come up to temp. About 2-1/2 hrs in I noticed the temp dropping and when I checked the only charcoal left burning was the briquettes I used as a starter. I quickly started up a chimney of Kingsford BB and dumped in the fire basket and filled it up with more Kingsford.
The cooker maintained 365 for the next six hours with no issues, but I noticed a slightly off taste in the pork probably because of having to restart the fresh charcoal. This is the last time I will buy any Cowboy Lump, the bag was mostly broken up fines with a few large chunks. I am glad I only bought two bags last time it was on sale. I really wish I could still buy Weber Briquettes around here. They seem to last the longest in my smoker. Any one else notice this with Cowboy?

Don't know about Cowboy Lump, Tom.
But if you like a certain Kingsford, have you considered online ordering?

Amazon has a four bagger with free shipping.
For example.

My next pellet buy for my smoker is going to be online.

There are two different kinds of Cowboy lump. One is "100% All Natural"(imported) and the other is "Southern Style"(made in USA with hickory and oak). I've never tried the 100% All Natural but I do use the Southern Style and have no complaints.

Sorry you got a bad bag, I have used Cowboy lump Southern Style for several years with overall good results. Of the 15-20 bags only 1 had more dust and small pieces. I have a large metal trash can that I dump the bag in so it does not get wet.

I've used Cowboy quite a bit and haven't had any problems with it. I mostly burn sticks though, just use the Cowboy in my BGE.

Tried a bag of Cowboy once, wasn't impressed. Maybe a bad bag. No large chunks, mostly small & fines. Just finished up a bad of Timber, a lot of the comp teams around here seem to like it. Same thing, medium & small chunks only, but mostly small. I've found RO to be the most consistent.

Dust has been a problem but not flavor. I've stopped turning any brand bag upside down as dust/fines will clog the airflow.

This was southern style. and it is the first time I have had an issue with it. I stocked up on Kingsford BB when Lowes had it on sale the last time so I am set for quite some time. I think the bad taste came from me adding fresh briquettes after the cook had started. I should have removed the butt and put it in the oven at 375 until the temp on the smoker had came back up. My guests thought the pork was good but I was not happy with it. Next time I will just start the cook with what I know works. Thanks for the reply's.

Fresh Briqs are a recipe for disaster.Burn the vocs off in a chimney before adding.Acrid smoke will ruin anything.

I've been using cowboy lump for 10 years with absolutely no complaints, in fact I love the large pieces. I can run my Down East Beast for 12 - 14 hours on a single 8 pound bag of cowboy lump with more than enough orange coals to add more if i needed to.

As far as the fines and small pieces, these are not put into the bag, but rather they are a result of rough handling by the shipper and/or the retailer. If we start from the beginning, we can better understand the process. Basic charcoal is produced by burning a carbon-rich material (such as wood) in a low-oxygen atmosphere. This process drives off the moisture, impurities, and volatile gases that were present in the wood. The resulting charred material is almost pure carbon, which not only burns longer and more steadily than wood, but it is also much lighter. Unfortunately the resulting carbon-like material is very fragile if handled roughly. As the charcoal is processed for bagging, it moves along a conveyor belt with rotary screens to remove dust, fines, and smaller pieces before the remaining pieces are bagged. The screened materials (dust, fines, small pieces) are not a waste product, they are used in the process of making charcoal briquettes. I worked for a company that made charcoal processing/bagging equipment when hurricane Katrina hit the southern states in 2005. I modified the software for the PLC chips used in the screening/bagging equipment, and many test runs were made to achieve the final result.

Pallets being stacked on one another, or when hit by a forklift, are all detrimental to the integrity of the lump charcoal product. Couple that with the warehouse jockey who would rather throw bags rather than carry them, and you have a bag of small pieces with lots of dust. When buying lump, always take your bags from the center of the pallet. If you buy in quantity, get to know the store manager, they will let you choose your bags from a new pallet. Once you get to know the manager, a pan of BBQ can make for a great business relationship.

Fresh Briqs are a recipe for disaster.Burn the vocs off in a chimney before adding.Acrid smoke will ruin anything.

I did start a full chimney and burned it off. The issue was I had also added fresh briquettes to the fire basket before dumping the hot coals on top. As I said earlier I should have put the butt in a hot oven and waited until the fire had settled down. As I said the guest's thought it was good but I noticed an off taste.

My parents, dedicated Kingsford blue bag users, have had a bag of Cowboy I've been trying to cook off whenever I grill at their place. Sparky and burns a little too quick. I'm not a fan.

I used Cowboy years ago with poor performance, and have read they redid the formula. Not so sure about that?

Only used the Cowboy Southern Style lump. Aside from one large rock and the Lowes employees beating up the bags I haven't had any issues.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but for long smokes on my WSM Minon Method is the only way I go and have been going for now on 6 years with KBB.

Great for overnight cooks. As long as you have good intake air and venting there has never been a problem for me with brisket or butts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBwrU1KQodE

I agree with his airflow theory but I've done temp control for a living for 38 years. I use an ATC with Bluetooth app to monitor. Works Great and great BBQ at the end. Don't forget to throw acouple of woodchunks on for smoke.

Last edited:
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but for long smokes on my WSM Minon Method is the only way I go and have been going for now on 6 years with KBB.

Great for overnight cooks. As long as you have good intake air and venting there has never been a problem for me with brisket or butts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBwrU1KQodE

I agree with his airflow theory but I've done temp control for a living for 38 years. I use an ATC with Bluetooth app to monitor. Works Great and great BBQ at the end. Don't forget to throw acouple of woodchunks on for smoke.

I know lots of people use this method, but I have not ever heard a satisfactory explanation of why you don't get dirty smoke.

That is an interesting concept/or fact... If it gets baked out, wonder how/why it doesnt affect the meat...i would think it has to go somewhere...?

Back