County Fair & BBQ Contest, Columbia, 07/28-07/29

drbbq said:
My guess would be that he's using that excuse to weed out disruptive judges as he sees fit.

Why must we talk about this over and over like being a CBJ is some great accomplishment. All you have to do is have $30 and a few hours. Nobody has ever failed the course. After the class you are never tested or questioned. I like the program as a promotional tool and a fundraiser, but to assume these CBJ's are all "Looking for" the same anything is kind of ridiculous.
Ray's post brings up a question - Are there DISRUPTIVE judges that an organizer or Rep might know about in advance? Knowing in advance rules out the First-timer who loudly demands "I WANT SAUCE" or some other foolishness.

I do agree with Ray that sitting thru a 4 hour seminar does not insure that the person will follow the rules, but it does show a committment to the rules that is not shown by someone who does not attend.

IMHO being a CBJ does not say a great deal, but having judged several contests in the last year, becomng a Master Judge does.

BrooklynQ said:
Now why is this contest so popular with the big guns?

That has been said, but not by me. That time of year, there aren't very many contests in the area. This is because of the heat.

As for the judging, I can see where a contest organizer might use an "excuse" to selectively weed a few bad apples out. However, that is not the case at this event.

wsm said:
I think it is a shame if non-CBJs are alklowed to judge, but in this case, we are not talking about "average joes" - we are talking aobut friends/aquantences of the organizer/KCBS Rep. I suspect that those volunteers have been around KCBS BBQ long enough to have "learned the ropes" as a CBJ does, NOT IN CLASS, but by judging.

Maybe that is why the "Heavy Hitters" like the contest.
I know of someone who called up the Rep the day before and got 2 judging seats - one for himself and one for someone else - I know for a fact that he thinks brisket done in the oven and smothered in sauce is BBQ. So yes, we are talking about average joes. And we're talking about average joes with a wide range of likes and with little or no judging experience.

Master judge = guy who ate 30 free meals.
No one has ever been denied this classification either.

Why would judging more make you a better judge?
I tend to think that many of the Master Judges have spent years picking up bad habits from each other.

drbbq said:
Master judge = guy who ate 30 free meals.
No one has ever been denied this classification either.

Why would judging more make you a better judge?
I tend to think that many of the Master Judges have spent years picking up bad habits from each other.
So why do you parctice cooking?

ADMIN NOTE:

The Topic is:

Boone County Fair:

anyone know anythiing aaobut this contest?

they say they already have their fill of judges. VERY STRANGE

Back on Topic.. Lets put out the potential war thats beginning.

Please Keep it civil.

Mike insists on not having ANY certified judges at ANY contest that he promotes. Why??? Well I guess you would have to know him to find the answer to that question. He is a little DIFFERENT to say the least. I personally don't agree with this policy but he will be the first to tell you that if you don't like it---don't come back. He has a way of pissing people off and has lost a few good cooks in the process.

So I guess you guys aren't voting for him. Mike McMillan, I think, is running for the board of directors. Wonder if he can bring people in off the street to vote for him.

MIKE McMILLEN
for KCBS Board of Directors
mike_mcmillen.jpg
• KCBS Rep
• Certified Judge
• Contest Organizer
• KCBS Member Since 1995
Previous board experience includes:
Girl Scout Council (Board Member)
Fire Training Institute (Board Member)
Mo. Insurance Coalition (Chairman)
Beta Beta Que Society (President)

Short Bio Phil still gets my vote

CharlieBeasley said:
MIKE McMILLEN
for KCBS Board of Directors
mike_mcmillen.jpg
• KCBS Rep
• Certified Judge
• Contest Organizer
• KCBS Member Since 1995
Previous board experience includes:
Girl Scout Council (Board Member)
Fire Training Institute (Board Member)
Mo. Insurance Coalition (Chairman)
Beta Beta Que Society (President)

Short Bio Phil still gets my vote

Buck Creek?? Sweet Heat and Gourmet Sauces from Spice are 10x better! :wink:

Wonder how many boxes of Girl Scout cookies you get strong armed into buying if you wanna judge his comps

(sorry, thats the last I'll post. Seems like an arse)

Jeff_in_KC said:
Buck Creek?? Sweet Heat and Gourmet Sauces from Spice are 10x better! :wink:

He comes by the shop every now and then and I call him Butt Cheek BBQ Sauce:mrgreen: He doesn't like it very well to say the least, but it's still funny.

He does make a raspberry sauce that is very popular and has won Best Sauce on the Planet for one of his sauces.

He can't cook worth a s**t though and has never competed in any contests.

Let me get this straight. This guy is running for the board and yet he won' allow CBJ's at anything he promotes? Does the board know this?

To answer two questions with one, I agree Jay, the raspeberry is pretty good. I also agree with (was it e, kick, or one of their OL's) that the mesquite is crap.

And Smoker, my sources (this is not a B.S. post) tell me the board is aware of this action, and this is really one of the few, it any, contests that this occurs.

Reason, simply stated above, hot as hell's ass in the middle of Missouri in late July, no one's competing much, and they get great turnout from all of MO (Columbia is mid state, I reckon)

So it is what it is, and that's that. (chit, I posted again here!)

Back