THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
John
I love gadgets of all types.
Computers, smart phones, GPS, ABS, you name it.

Except for cooking.

I have always been a traditionalist when it comes to cooking.
Wood. Fire. Meat...Beer

No foil, pans, no gurus or stokers.... just Wood. Fire. Meat....Beer.

However lately I have found myself using new tools, learning new methods.
I picked up an Anova Sous Vide for my birthday in November and a Blackstone Griddle for Christmas.

The lamb chops I made with the Sous Vide were an epiphany.
The ability to fry onions and bacon while cooking burgers on the Blackstone was exhilarating (and delicious)

I don't think I am ready for a pellet pooper or an electric smoker..yet, as I will always fall back to my Wood. Fire. Meat....Beer, but I do see a benefit to some of these "fancy gadgets" when it comes to cooking.

Long live progress, but let's not lose sight of our roots.

Last edited:
Similar here. I do have some cooking gadgets but I don't get gurus or other temp controllers. I don't have a WSM or Kamado but from what I've seen a guru seems unnecessary. I am not sure what they provide that a tiny bit of fire management can't.

I've been into kitchen gadgets since I discovered cooking 5 years ago (I used to live out of the microwave until I met my wife). But the gadgets I've used have been simple mechanical things. I just got a CyberQ for my Vision S-Series Professional for Christmas/my birthday from my in-laws and I'm very excited about it.

Is it a cooking gadget I need? Nah. I can hold smoking temps quite nicely with my little off-brand kamado. But hopefully it will become that much easier, and I will become confident enough to mess with overnight cooks (with the peace of mind of text alerts if there is a problem!). Plus it's just cool! LOL I keep bragging to my wife I can now control my smoker from anywhere in the world!

I am pretty traditional when it comes to BBQ but I'm not ready to give up aluminum foil and pans just yet. I agree with everything else. That's why I love the King of the Smoker Competition - no gadgets. Old School but not caveman.

Back