Cooking Gadgets

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
John
I love gadgets of all types.
Computers, smart phones, GPS, ABS, you name it.

Except for cooking.

I have always been a traditionalist when it comes to cooking.
Wood. Fire. Meat...Beer

No foil, pans, no gurus or stokers.... just Wood. Fire. Meat....Beer.

However lately I have found myself using new tools, learning new methods.
I picked up an Anova Sous Vide for my birthday in November and a Blackstone Griddle for Christmas.

The lamb chops I made with the Sous Vide were an epiphany.
The ability to fry onions and bacon while cooking burgers on the Blackstone was exhilarating (and delicious)

I don't think I am ready for a pellet pooper or an electric smoker..yet, as I will always fall back to my Wood. Fire. Meat....Beer, but I do see a benefit to some of these "fancy gadgets" when it comes to cooking.

Long live progress, but let's not lose sight of our roots.

Last edited:
Similar here. I do have some cooking gadgets but I don't get gurus or other temp controllers. I don't have a WSM or Kamado but from what I've seen a guru seems unnecessary. I am not sure what they provide that a tiny bit of fire management can't.

I've been into kitchen gadgets since I discovered cooking 5 years ago (I used to live out of the microwave until I met my wife). But the gadgets I've used have been simple mechanical things. I just got a CyberQ for my Vision S-Series Professional for Christmas/my birthday from my in-laws and I'm very excited about it.

Is it a cooking gadget I need? Nah. I can hold smoking temps quite nicely with my little off-brand kamado. But hopefully it will become that much easier, and I will become confident enough to mess with overnight cooks (with the peace of mind of text alerts if there is a problem!). Plus it's just cool! LOL I keep bragging to my wife I can now control my smoker from anywhere in the world!

I am pretty traditional when it comes to BBQ but I'm not ready to give up aluminum foil and pans just yet. I agree with everything else. That's why I love the King of the Smoker Competition - no gadgets. Old School but not caveman.

Back