Cooked a couple of Full Spares

Looks awesome when I do full spare unwrapped about 4hrs with zero to hero they get kind of dark at 250 in shirly thought it was cause of sugar. What temp was this cooked at

Looks awesome when I do full spare unwrapped about 4hrs with zero to hero they get kind of dark at 250 in shirly thought it was cause of sugar. What temp was this cooked at

The plan was to cook at 275-300 for 2hrs then wrap but sometimes the WSM has a mind of its own. I put them on at 249 left all the vents wide open and when I pulled them at 2.5 hours in to wrap, pit temp was 284.

This is the second time I've used Zero to Hero, the first time I cut two racks in half seasoned each half with different rubs. Zero to Hero, Swamp Boys, Loot N Booty Everything Rub and Slap Yo Daddy Love Meat Tender. They were hung in the WSM and cooked between 275-285 for just under 4 hrs and they were not wrapped. The Zero to Hero didn't look much different color wise, Slap Yo Daddy was the best looking rack color wise between all the rubs.

Nice looking ribs n mac! 90% of my rib cooks are full spares. Haven't tried mac n cheese yet but planning to smoke a lasagna for the wife's birthday in March. Never done that either so I will do a practice run...or two.
Did I mention how great your spares n mac looked?

I'll take a couple a couple bones from each and a big scoop of that mac n cheese please:).

Last edited:
Hanging Ribs

The plan was to cook at 275-300 for 2hrs then wrap but sometimes the WSM has a mind of its own. I put them on at 249 left all the vents wide open and when I pulled them at 2.5 hours in to wrap, pit temp was 284.

This is the second time I've used Zero to Hero, the first time I cut two racks in half seasoned each half with different rubs. Zero to Hero, Swamp Boys, Loot N Booty Everything Rub and Slap Yo Daddy Love Meat Tender. They were hung in the WSM and cooked between 275-285 for just under 4 hrs and they were not wrapped. The Zero to Hero didn't look much different color wise, Slap Yo Daddy was the best looking rack color wise between all the rubs.

Hi Kevin
What did you use to hang the ribs in your WSM? Any pics of the hanging ribs?
Thx Danb

Nice looking ribs n mac! 90% of my rib cooks are full spares. Haven't tried mac n cheese yet but planning to smoke a lasagna for the wife's birthday in March. Never done that either so I will do a practice run...or two.
Did I mention how great your spares n mac looked?
Smoked Mac N Cheese is fantastic, I look forward to eating smoked Mac as much as I do the meat thats being smoked during that cook.

Hi Kevin
What did you use to hang the ribs in your WSM? Any pics of the hanging ribs?
Thx Danb
Dan here is a pic from a previous cook, I use the WSM hanging kit and Pit Barrel Cooker SS hooks.

IMG_0430_zpsfooydyjn.jpg

Back