Considering the Big Green Egg - need advice from my Egghead Brethren!

I love my XL BGE. Primo and KJ also make very nice products and are worth considering. Make sure you find a knowledgeable and friendly dealer whatever brand you buy (worth more than saving a few bucks up front).

I gave my gasser to the in laws after a few weeks with the BGE. But it may be worth keeping 1 other device to cook side dishes, store accessories etc.

Good Luck

Go to the Costco Canada website Click on Warehouse Savings then Click on Special Events. Search for Kamado Joe to see if there's a roadshow in in your area. You can get a really good deal there.

Here is this month's list.

I love my BGE XL (25th anniversary gift). I believe any kamado style of decent quality will be a great investment or addition to your lineup. I just got through with a low and slow yesterday. Brisket 18 hours followed by a huge pork loin for about 4 hours. Never once did I have to add charcoal. I added some chunks of wood between the brisket and loin. Both turned out excellent and the temp essentially stayed 225-235 the entire cook except for opening the lid.

I have a collection of various smoker and grills. I use my Weber kettle for quick weekday stuff, but other than that I am totally devoted to my XL BGE. It really does everything.

Go to the best BGE or Primo authorized dealer in the area and get one. As a large and Minimax BGE owner, I would further steer you to BGE but.... Primo is fantastic. The dealer who you deal with is very important for support, etc. I really enjoy the online user forum support you get from BGE owners. I bet the Primo forum very likely is very good also.

I have a BGE and cook on it at least 3 times a week. My family really enjoys the food that comes off the egg. It is an awesome smoker. But if you want to take it camping or to a competition you will need a lot of muscle to move it around. So I have a couple other smokers I use for those applications. Also a large BGE is good for 3-4 people. If you need to smoke a brisket and a pork butt at the same time you should go with the XL.

Well- you guys either helped the fella or confused the hell out of him. He probably thought he'd ask "a simple question and get a lot of one answer" I expect he will do a lot more reading and weighing options based on the input- and that's a great thing. Good job all around.

Im gonna take a different stance and probably catch some flak.

Save your money! Ive had three different competition guys put it to me this way...
"They are over priced kettles!!"

all three said the exact same, thing they have no affiliation with each other. One of the guys owns a BBQ store, and he talked me out of buying a new Primo Oval XL for 1800.00, so he actually lost a sale providing me his honest opinion since I was wanting a smoker.

I have to agree with them, I do own a Primo Oval Jr that i bought for $225 off CL, I sure am glad I didnt spend 1800, been using it for a couple years, honestly I dont see any improvement in my food. I can achieve the same results with a kettle when it comes to grilling, I use my WSM for smoking which does a better job of smoking than the primo. Kamados are efficient though.

You need to ask yourself this. What are you going to use a Kamado for?
1) Smoking? if so ,there are way better smokers

2) grilling? you already have a grill, you can hit a 1000 degrees on a kettle

3) Baking? well this is where the kamado does better than a kettle, personally I use my oven for baking.

4) all of the above? well, you have a grill, you dont have a true smoker and I assume you have an oven but maybe you really want to bake on a kamado.

I would buy a smoker since you already have the other tools

Im gonna take a different stance and probably catch some flak.

Save your money! Ive had three different competition guys put it to me this way...
"They are over priced kettles!!"

all three said the exact same, thing they have no affiliation with each other. One of the guys owns a BBQ store, and he talked me out of buying a new Primo Oval XL for 1800.00, so he actually lost a sale providing me his honest opinion since I was wanting a smoker.

I have to agree with them, I do own a Primo Oval Jr that i bought for $225 off CL, I sure am glad I didnt spend 1800, been using it for a couple years, honestly I dont see any improvement in my food. I can achieve the same results with a kettle when it comes to grilling, I use my WSM for smoking which does a better job of smoking than the primo. Kamados are efficient though.

You need to ask yourself this. What are you going to use a Kamado for?
1) Smoking? if so ,there are way better smokers

2) grilling? you already have a grill, you can hit a 1000 degrees on a kettle

3) Baking? well this is where the kamado does better than a kettle, personally I use my oven for baking.

4) all of the above? well, you have a grill, you dont have a true smoker and I assume you have an oven but maybe you really want to bake on a kamado.

I would buy a smoker since you already have the other tools

There is no perfect multipurpose cooker. However, a kamado comes closer to the mark than any other option.

One huge advantage of a kamado is it is pretty immune to the weather. If one is just a summertime fair weather griller then a kamado does not offer much advantage over many other options.

If one is a year round griller and lives in an area with cold, wet, rainy, snowy winters a kamado will not be fazed at all by that weather and will hold a steady temp all day/night long.

If I could only have one cooker it would be a kamado.

Fortunately, I have a big patio. :)

Back