Considering the Big Green Egg - need advice from my Egghead Brethren!

Another vote for the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill here. I have one, and believe me it handles more like a kamado than a kettle. It has all the versatility of ceramic kamados, as I have cooked pizza's, brisket, ribs, steaks, chicken, veggies. I have done it all. In addition to the versatility of the ceramic kamados, it has the following advantages: lighter, better insulation, more moble, less fragile, two levels for the charcoal grate, one touch ash removal, and gass assist charcoal start.

All that being said, so many people love their ceramics and cook awesome food on them, so you can't go wrong with one. My one advice is pick something with a 24" diameter, or equivalent cooking area, you will really use it.

Another vote for the BGE. Had one for ten years and used it 2-3 times a week. I finally replaced the gasket recently and the cracked firebox (under warranty). The gasket was shot for a while, I was just procrastinating. My lid fit tight enough to not see an issue with the extra airflow and my IQ 110 compensated and handled things low and slow. Apparently it still sealed well enough to extinguish the charcoal when the dampers were shut as well. To me, that's the best part. I can use charcoal as economically as gas.

I have a Large BGE and Love it I also have a Weber Genesis and use that a lot on weekdays when I get home from work I would definitely get the Egg and keep some of the others

I have a KJ Big Joe and several other pits and smokers, I only use the Big Joe to do steaks now. I have found that I can cook everything else better on a different pit than I can on the KJ. Maybe I just need some lessons on cooking on it. That usually means more work on the other pits but the results are better.

I am fairly new to ceramic cookers as I just recently replaced an old Akorn with a KJ Classic with the Divide and Conquer Flexible Cooking System. So far I like it a lot, but there are still things that I can tell I will continue to do on my other grills, including my gassers. To me, grills are just tools. Just like a mechanic with a big tool box, I like having options. If you can afford it, I would hold on to all of the others for a while and see what works for you.

If your stuck on ceramic I can't help ya, but if your looking a kamado of any construction lm another vote for the Weber Summit Charcoal.

Nothing it can't do, won't crack, stainless steel gasket, gas assist starter, far more portable, USA made...

I was stuck on ceramic until the Summit came out then after weighing it all out the Summit won.

Happy shopping!

I just didn't want to shell out the $1500 (cdn) for the BGE.

Eggheads - did you continue to own and use your other grills once you went with the Big Green Egg?

Then don't. If you were starting from scratch it would be worth considering as ceramics are great all around cookers but with the lineup you have you really no longer need one :mrgreen:. I've had eggs & kettles for 10+ years now & they've gotten equal time, mostly however because I baked so many pizzas on the egg which is pretty much the only thing it can unequivocally do better than anything in your current lineup. BUT, at $1,500, no way, I'd save $1,200 & pick up a Blackstone pizza oven (provided excellent pizza is on your list of must haves). By the way since acquiring the Blackstone my Egg is the least used cooker in my lineup.

I would say go with the big green egg. I had a similar path to you, started on Weber kettle then had a PBC which I loved and cooked everything on. I had always wanted an egg and finally got the XL big green egg and could not be happier!! It's so versatile and puts out amazing food. Sadly, I have not used my pbc since getting my egg 3 months ago.
I bought a looft lighter so can get the egg up to temp quickly for weekday cooks after work.
Get as big of an egg as you can afford. The xl can fit about anything without having to get creative

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 222
I had a Weber Genesis silver gasser when I bought my Primo XL. Thought I would still use it every now and then. Wrong. Never use it. I also have a Big Poppa UDS. I only use that when I am having a party and need the extra capacity.

Buy the pit, keep one extra smoker and sell the rest.

I've had my Large BGE for eight years or so and love it but when I cook a big brisket wish that it was a Primo due to the oval shape. Have draped briskets over something or have used skewers to get them to fit. Usually do 12-15 lb briskets so not a problem that often and will select briskets that I know will fit.

Now waiting for folks to tell me to get an XL.

I started with an offset, and went with a Primo Oval after I realized I couldn't BBQ after October. I went with the Oval because of the height, shape and flexibility. Otherwise, I think the BGE performance is much the same. I always hear about gaskets. After 7 years now, I see my first gasket is beginning to break away. As far as the offset, never used it again after I got the Oval, except for cold smoking salmon. I gave it away to a neighbor a few years back to clear off some space.

Eggs are great ( I have a very old Large (not BGE brand) from the late 70's-early 80's) and a real BGE Mini. But am now looking at buying a insulated vertical cabinet style smoker. Doing a Large Brisket (my Fav) on the Large Egg just doesn't work as well because the ends hang out over the direct heat (using a BGE Plate setter for indirect).

If I were going to buy a new one, I'd Def. go for the XL.....Never looked into the other brands but the Oval Primo sounds legit for doing bigger cooks / smokes like a Long Brisket.

Like said...They're tools...Never sell them, just acquire More :)

BGE for the win! :mrgreen:

After countless years cooking on a Weber Performer, I now have both an XL (home) and a LG (cottage). There is no substitute!

Replacing the Gasket on the BGE is cheap and easy - though you probably have to do it every 6 months or so. I can't say enough good things about my Large BGE - it does anything I want and can do it in all weather conditions. Sure the other ceramic cookers are great, but you KNOW the BGE will be good and can do anything as others have said: Grill, Smoke, Sear, Bake, etc...

I did a brisket Last night into this morning...... I must say that the brisket and beans turned out better than I ever cooked on my XL egg....... Going for a pizza this afternoon... Forgot this is a Weber Summit Charcoal...

Last edited:
I have a weber kettle that doesn't get used except as a table anymore because of the egg. Go for it and enjoy. People blow the basket thing way out of proportion to btw

Go with the Primo XL. I wanted a BGE for years, but seeing the Primo changed my mind.
Bought my Primo in 2007, fire box had a small crack about 2010. Sent Primo the info needed and they sent me a new fire box but I had to pay shipping . I f i remember correctly about 80:00.
That being said, I am still using the original fire box and the new one is still in the box it was shipped in, sitting in the basement.
BGE is a great product, but the Primo has a more advantages.
As far as gaskets go, the original felt gasket that comes with the Primo ( if they still use it ) lasted a couple of years. I replaced mine with the original felt twice in about 4 yrs. Ordered a nomex( peel and stick ) gasket and have not had any issues.
I do not cook above 550 deg.f

My two cents.
I thought long about the BGE. I got the Weber summit charcoal grill and I love the thing. Am amazing cooker.

Back