Competition chicken legs? Way to do this? Time management questions?

Thank you guys so much for the useful advice. I have another quick question. Besides all the BBQ association sites and KCBS - is there any other place to look to find out about more "backyard" type comps? I would really prefer to do one of those types first. I dont want to go one too intense and be over our heads. The one that was coming up this weekend was a more backyard type but I just dont think we can be ready that soon!

Not really :( KCBS is sanctioning more backyard comps, but a lot of them don't go that route so they can be hard to find. Google may be your best bet.

Almost Heaven bbq bash has a backyard contest. Pretty good people and contest. I wish I could make it. Past few years something is always going on.

Grill Your Ace Off in West Newton is a good unsanctioned event. Backyard and Pro. Raises money for Children's hospital. Alot of teams using ez ups. It was kind of nice to see more teams up and about.

Thanks! Was trying to find something for the weekend of May 25-26 in NC TN KY SC areas close to us we are in the tip of VA on the TN lines.
your welcome.
Look up the Jack Daniel's invitational. Call them and ask about the Shade Tree contest. Its the backyard contest. Got to call them to get in the draw for that. We got our name pulled but wrecked on the way there in 2015. I hear its awesome.we went pro so we aren't eligible. Thats the only one I can think of down there.

how do you go pro vs amateur?

Fill out the application and pay?

:becky:

'Pro' is really a misnomer. Very few teams can make living from competitions. The main difference is what you cook. For KCBS, the 'pro' competitions are four meats, chicken, ribs, pork and brisket. For 'amateur', it is typically one or two meats, sometimes 3. Cook whichever you feel comfortable.

KCBS does make a distinction for their backyard comps. This is from the 2016 rules, but the highlighted portion lays it out.

https://www.kcbs.us/downloads/backyard_rules_rules-2016.pdf

how do you go pro vs amateur?

It's a "State of Mind" for many.

KCBS contest are sanctioned and therefor considered "Pro". All you have to do is enter and you are "Pro". With that, there are top teams that BBQ is their business and they are truly good at winning.

That is a busy KCBS weekend, I bet there is one close. If you want to see if you like competing might as well jump right in. KCBS is far from perfect but the comps are usually well organized and you will meet some great cooks.

I did a backyard comp a few weeks ago because the KCBS I was going to got cancelled so I found a last minute replacement...I soon wished I had just stayed home. I am sure there are some good back yard comps out there and I am sure the KCBS backyard events are well run, but those are few and far between.

Matt - what brine can you suggest? Did he go a butter bath?

Hey guys thanks so much for the info. I think we may skip this weekends comp. I dont think we are quite ready. I have a question on the pork timing. We pull our butts at about 195 and rest, we find after the rest they are way over 200. Should we maybe be pulling them sooner? We did a test cook this weekend and did 2 butts. We trim and isolate the money muscle and the money muscle was done WAY too soon. I am thinking we should quit trimming and isolating it so much?
I think we need to dial in a few things - especially chicken and maybe hit up another comp the next or following weekend.

There are tons of recipes for brines out there - I happen to like using Oakridge Game Changer when I cook comp chicken. Many teams use one form or another of a butter bath.

You can separate the MM and return to the cooker. I slice mine off around 170 degrees, wrap, and cook until it is the tenderness I like. It will hold in a cambro/cooler until you are ready to do what you need before turning it in.

Honestly, I'd do it anyways. You may not be ready, but you can go out, have a good time, and honestly, you'll learn some important lessons that can't easily be typed on a message board. Lots of little things that you'll only know after you do one.

Totally agree with this. We've done 40 + competitions over the years and we learn something new at every event. This wouldn't have happened had we just been doing practice cooks on our back deck.

Also, I wouldn't obsess too much over trying to nail down an exact timeline. Just leave yourself plenty of cushion time, you can always hold meat in Cambro or cooler.. is this a KCBS Pro contest?

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I don't compete so this might be a stupid question but does anybody completely separate the money muscle before cooking? is that allowed in the rules?

Interesting thread. I don't compete so this might be a stupid question but does anybody completely separate the money muscle before cooking? is that allowed in the rules?

You just opened a can of worms and you didn't even know! Unless your just very sneaky :)

Now I'm real interested!!

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or
Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at the
time of inspection. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole
(bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated
and returned to the cooker at the cook’s discretion.

Back