Psychology of Competition BBQ

Chenernator

Full Fledged Farker
I'm a Certified Mental Performance Consultant (CMPC) and an MCBJ. In short, I help people get better at what they love to do so they can thrive in the moments that matter. I've had conversations with some cooks about the psychology of a comp, and would like to hear from more of you.

What mental challenges do you experience in a comp?
What keeps you from performing your best?
What do you wish you had known about the mental side before getting into competition BBQ?
Have you ever considered getting help in this area?
What questions do you have about mental performance (aka sport psychology)?

What mental challenges do you experience in a comp?
What keeps you from performing your best?
What do you wish you had known about the mental side before getting into competition BBQ?
Have you ever considered getting help in this area?
What questions do you have about mental performance (aka sport psychology)?

-None
-Over thinking and going off script.
-Nothing. We all were beginners at one point and someone has to take last place :mod:
-No
-None

-None
-Over thinking and going off script.
-Nothing. We all were beginners at one point and someone has to take last place :mod:
-No
-None

Thanks for being the first to respond. Can you tell me what led to the overthinking and going off script?

What mental challenges do you experience in a comp? Fatigue, lack of sleep and focus
What keeps you from performing your best?Answered above :p
What do you wish you had known about the mental side before getting into competition BBQ?How much the outside elements, lack of sleep, etc effect your cook and schedule
Have you ever considered getting help in this area?I've never heard of Competition BBQers Anonymous but I think I could be the founder or at least a vice president. :laugh:
What questions do you have about mental performance (aka sport psychology)?How can I stay focused when out in the elements, away from home, and with a lack of sleep?

What mental challenges do you experience in a comp? Fatigue, lack of sleep and focus
What keeps you from performing your best?Answered above :p
What do you wish you had known about the mental side before getting into competition BBQ?How much the outside elements, lack of sleep, etc effect your cook and schedule
Have you ever considered getting help in this area?I've never heard of Competition BBQers Anonymous but I think I could be the founder or at least a vice president. :laugh:
What questions do you have about mental performance (aka sport psychology)?How can I stay focused when out in the elements, away from home, and with a lack of sleep?

Thanks for responding. As you already know, fatigue and lack of sleep directly impact focus. How does diminished focus affect your cook?

Here's one suggestion for the fatigue and lack of sleep. Check out NSDR (Non-Sleep Deep Rest). It's a 10-20 minute exercise that can mitigate fatigue and improve focus. Build it in to your timeline.

As for focus, identify what you can control, can influence, or can't control. In competitive moments, we tend to focus on the uncontrollable, instead of what's controllable. To focus on the controllable, ask yourself, What's Important Now (W.I.N.).

DM me if you want to chat more.

You can psychoanalyze this until the cows come home but the one thing missing above is that most people are FUBAR from drinking by the time first turn in comes. Not against people having a good time, but the best decisions are not always made under the influence. It is without a doubt a major variable.

You can psychoanalyze this until the cows come home but the one thing missing above is that most people are FUBAR from drinking by the time first turn in comes. Not against people having a good time, but the best decisions are not always made under the influence. It is without a doubt a major variable.

For sure, though my impression is that the top teams aren't subject to this, whereas the bottom teams are.

I have a picture of Dr. Frazier Crane rubbing his chin whiskers wondering how to help a group misfits cook better meat.
Ed

"and what caused you to go off script?"

Back