THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comp brisket flavor

• Total voters
But wouldn't that sweetness burn out on a judge after trying his third or fourth box?

I haven't judged before, would like to take the class and maybe give it a try some day. I thought I had read that a judge needs to learn to stick to one or two bites max, because they normally sample many items and can get full. (I could be wrong on that.)

Since I don't care for a sweet profile, I might not be a good candidate for judging...

Thoey, here in Tx you don't need to take a class to judge BBQ, unless it's KCBS of course. What people turn in around here can vary quite a bit, especially in ribs and chicken, however most around here turn in savory type of brisket, beefy, salt/peppery with just the right level of smoke. What separates the best from the others is nailing the tenderness and moisture and over all taste.

Salt pepper and garlic on a YAK brisket of course is really all you need. If you can't nail the tenderness. It doesn't matter what you put on it.

Back