comment cards

My favorite comment card was on chicken last year... TOO JUICY! lol

What do you find so lol ish about that coment? With the influx of "cupcake" chicken that is "braised" in a pool of melted butter it's not uncommon to take a bite and have a massive amount of buttery flavored goo shoot out of the sample and drench your chin (and shirt).
"TOO JUICY" means you had added more moisture than it should have had in it's natural state.
You want a comment card? Take the info offered.
Ed

I am a cook and a judge and really like the idea of a check box comment card rather than just a general comment card. Judges should not be telling how to cook but why they score, and a general checkbox may actually make better judges. At one contest I had a comment of "not enough lettuce" First off I dont use lettuce as a garnish( though I may start now). I was stunned that this comment card was actually given to me and honestly frustrated me. This was a KCBS event and I know garnish helps with appearance but I thought garnish was supposed to be optional?

At a contest I judged, there was not enough table captains so we were specifically told in our instructions to not fill out the comment cards and this was by the KCBS rep, because "there would not be enough time and there is not enough comment cards so lets spend our time elsewhere" That really bothered me and the next Monday I called KCBS and was basically told comment cards are at the discretion of the KCBS rep and the cooks may not get them even if they were filled out. This was in late May.

I am a cook and a judge and really like the idea of a check box comment card rather than just a general comment card. Judges should not be telling how to cook but why they score, and a general checkbox may actually make better judges. At one contest I had a comment of "not enough lettuce" First off I dont use lettuce as a garnish( though I may start now). I was stunned that this comment card was actually given to me and honestly frustrated me. This was a KCBS event and I know garnish helps with appearance but I thought garnish was supposed to be optional?

At a contest I judged, there was not enough table captains so we were specifically told in our instructions to not fill out the comment cards and this was by the KCBS rep, because "there would not be enough time and there is not enough comment cards so lets spend our time elsewhere" That really bothered me and the next Monday I called KCBS and was basically told comment cards are at the discretion of the KCBS rep and the cooks may not get them even if they were filled out. This was in late May.

That is unbelievable. KCBS is really dropping the ball with their judging criteria. But, I guess, as long as people still watch reality TV and pay money to be a judge, why would they bother or care about what helps the cooks?:mad2:

I got in contact with a KCBS board member today. I am sending a copy of the comment card to them and we are goingt to see what the outcome is. I agree with the check mark style of comments. Telling me to "Please inject". thats a direct quote, is unwarrented and would not have changed the outcome since the problem was totally MY fault. I had a much larger brisket and failed to adjust my cooking time.

Best one I ever got was on pork

"Pork had tiny bubbles on right side, did not look appealing"

Score 589

Here's the link to my original post on it http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1012307&postcount=38

We got a 699 that counted for our 10th place brisket this weekend. Of the other appearance scores, four were 8 or 9 and the last was a 7. I kept wishing that judge with the 6 gave a comment card but after reading this thread I think I'm glad he didn't! It must have been something like "I gotta eat that crap? Holy sh*t, this is the best brisket I ever ate!" LOL

BTW, we haven't received a comment card in 2.5 seasons. And when we got one, it was for a good score and the judge told us what he really liked about the entry.

What do you find so lol ish about that coment? With the influx of "cupcake" chicken that is "braised" in a pool of melted butter it's not uncommon to take a bite and have a massive amount of buttery flavored goo shoot out of the sample and drench your chin (and shirt).
"TOO JUICY" means you had added more moisture than it should have had in it's natural state.
You want a comment card? Take the info offered.
Ed

I add no extras, was cooked hot and fast... most complain about dry meat, not too juicy... Was funny too us, maybe not to you...

I got in contact with a KCBS board member today. I am sending a copy of the comment card to them and we are goingt to see what the outcome is. I agree with the check mark style of comments. Telling me to "Please inject". thats a direct quote, is unwarrented and would not have changed the outcome since the problem was totally MY fault. I had a much larger brisket and failed to adjust my cooking time.

Keep us updated, I would love to hear what a board member says. You might suggest this person reads this posting too. Even though you have the comment card to show it seems that several others are having similar issues. It also seems most of us think the checkbox comment cards are a very good idea.

I totally agree! As both a cook and judge, I try to provide comments on EVERYTHING below an 8; however, it is really difficult to properly fill out a comment card in detail with the Table Captain standing over you waiting on you to finish so that they can turn in the score cards (with comment cards) and prepare for the next category.
I see this done frequently - why do you have to turn in a comment card with the score card and hold up the entire process? If I'm turning in a comment card I'll write the required information, Team #, Category, Scores and then give the score card to my TC so that they can move on and my table mates can discuss the entries. As soon as I've finished my comment card - and lets face it, it doesn't take long, there isn't that much room - then I give my comment card to the TC. -Julie

I see this done frequently - why do you have to turn in a comment card with the score card and hold up the entire process? If I'm turning in a comment card I'll write the required information, Team #, Category, Scores and then give the score card to my TC so that they can move on and my table mates can discuss the entries. As soon as I've finished my comment card - and lets face it, it doesn't take long, there isn't that much room - then I give my comment card to the TC. -Julie

Hey Julie, I sat next to you when I wrote out the comment cards at Greer and Myrtle Beach. We need the score card to enter the scores on the comment cards before we leave the actual comments; therefore it does hold up the process a bit. Especially when there is more than one comment card needed to be left on a particular category. I try to leave a comment card on any entry where I give a 7 or less. I feel it appropriate to let the cooks know why I didn't give their entry an 8 or 9.
Just saying...

Like most, this is frustrating. How can you get better without a critique? How the heck can we make changes and get better if we have no idea what went wrong. Over the weekend on brisket we scored 999 999 997 966 965 975. Personally we thought it was the best brisket we have ever cooked. How the heck am I as a cook to interpret these scores without a comment card. In a sport that is growing fast, maybe too fast how can people excel with out a critique. Some would say practice, practice, practice - what the hell do I practice, besides making that same mistake over and over again?

Tom, you're not following me. Get your comment cards, write the team number and scores on each card then give your score card to the TC. They can then turn in the cards and start setting up the table for the next category. When you finish completing your comments then give the comment cards to either your TC or the rep that is circulating. I do this whenever I fell the need to complete a comment card and I don't hold up the process. If you need to you can write notes on your plate.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Like most, this is frustrating. How can you get better without a critique? How the heck can we make changes and get better if we have no idea what went wrong. Over the weekend on brisket we scored 999 999 997 966 965 975. Personally we thought it was the best brisket we have ever cooked. How the heck am I as a cook to interpret these scores without a comment card. In a sport that is growing fast, maybe too fast how can people excel with out a critique. Some would say practice, practice, practice - what the hell do I practice, besides making that same mistake over and over again?

did you turn in burnt ends AND slices? that could be the reason for 2 clearly different scorings.

Back