Closet meat cut to tri tip on the East Coast?

TonyBen

Knows what a fatty is.
I moved from Oregon to Florida a year ago but I haven’t been able to find tri tip for the life of me.

What’s the best alternative to tri tip on the east coast?

I cook mine like a brisket to 202 degrees.

Thanks,
Tony

Maybe ask around for a ball-tip roast. They are also from the sirloin primal, but leaner, less tender, and not as moist as a tri-tip. Or ask for a bottom sirloin roast.

Back to tri-tip, you may check a Costco or Sam's Club. My Sam's has packs of (3) and packs of (6) for around $7.50. For high-end USDA Prime tri-tip, look at Creekstone Farms.

Costco just started carrying them about a year ago in Maryland. Otherwise, I just don't see them.

Yep, Wild Fork should be somewhere near you, or they ship. Very easy to deal with. If not, you might seek out flat iron steaks.

Also, The Fresh Market, if you have any near you, carry a nice prime flank steak that would be pretty good.

Like tri tip, skirt steak (another favorite) is hard to find around here. My belief, most butchers take both home instead of putting them out for sale.

Use to know a Kroger meat manager (now retired) that would set me up with special order tri tip. He went to work early and was usually gone before I picked up an order. Forget what he labeled the packaging...never said tri tip. Usually 3 to a package and damn good.

Publix in Georgia often have them so it is possible that one near you can order them.

Been buying all my prime tri’s through Wildfork the past couple of years. 2 day shipping, competitive pricing, and great product… love it!

I often find pre-seasoned Tri tip at Aldi. I just rinse the seasoning off and re-season with Q-Salt. The good part is they are generally $4.99lb.

They are shot up with a salt solution but that doesn’t bother me and they are delicious

Attachments

• IMG_7919.jpg
    IMG_7919.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 113
Thanks! I’ll give wild fork a try. If it’s the same as a small brisket, I’ll just make brisket.

My wife is Brazilian and they don’t eat anything medium rare or even medium. Medium well is the bare minimum so I began cooking my tri tip like a brisket. It’s fantastic!

Tony.

Costco

I'd heard of Tri-Tips...but had never seen them, until I guess the last year or so at our local Costco.<P>
I think Costco is carrying them nationally...so, if you have one near you, give them a look.

I cooked one once...lost the recipe, but I REALLY enjoyed it. I marinated it in something and grilled.

Does anyone have a favorite Tri-Tip recipe they'd care to share?

cayenne

I'd heard of Tri-Tips...but had never seen them, until I guess the last year or so at our local Costco.<P>
I think Costco is carrying them nationally...so, if you have one near you, give them a look.

I cooked one once...lost the recipe, but I REALLY enjoyed it. I marinated it in something and grilled.

Does anyone have a favorite Tri-Tip recipe they'd care to share?

cayenne

Cut into 1” steaks. Salt and pepper an grill until 132° then top with Chimichurri Sauce.

Back