Chopped/Sliced Brisket

A guy I work with sets up shop with his trailer in several different spots around his home town. All he makes is chopped brisket sammies and he does extremely well for such a small operation. If it's offered as a sandwich i think chopped or pulled is the only way to go. I don't like how sliced brisket pulls out of the bread when you take a bite. I would much rather have it chopped up.

I think that perception comes into play with the chopped/sliced/pulled brisket discussions.
Those of us who compete, and our treasured Texas Brethren, value properly cooked and sliced brisket as the "holy grail" of BBQ. Rightfully so! :-D

But, for "eating", I can not find a flavor difference in the 3 techniques.
If I am cooking for fun (friends, neighbors, etc), I take brisket to 200-210 and a really "buttery" probe test.
I pull or chop as appropriate.
Everyone loves it!
I have never had anyone (remember, I am in Florida :oops:) even comment on slices.

I would chop/pull for commercial use in a heartbeat.
Pulled flats make a really interesting texture for sandwiches.

Just makes sense from a cost control standpoint!

Good Luck.

TIM

Thanks all....I was about to start feeling guilty. For the time put into a brisket, in the real world...i'd rather show a nice wicked slice. For practical purposes, cooking for 50+, 100+ folks a night(alone). I'm going to go with chopped/sliced.

I think chopped would be the way to go. Make serving a lot faster.

Back