chicken thighs

Me too!

Does bite through skin mean soft? as in dare I say for lack of a better word, soggy?

I like it crispy but (as Im sure you know) if I miss its time it becomes hard and separates from the meat. Sometimes I nail it though and its crispy, a serrated butter knife will pass, but not sure about bite through.

I cook thighs in a kettle at 350F to 400F, it takes at least 45 minutes to get them done. I am not doing competition chicken though.,

Ditto the times above.
I salt & pepper them (or whatever seasoning we feel like), then fire up about 3/4 chimney and put it on one half of the charcoal grate. Tin foil to cover the other half.

Once thr grill is hot, I put the thighs over the coals for about 5 to 7 minutes per side, then move away from the coals so that they are over the foil. After about 30 minutes, I watch the temp of the thighs with my Maverick et-73.
If I'm going to sauce or glaze, I'll put that on about 155 degrees.

They turn out something like this:

Attachments

• DSCN3060.jpg
    DSCN3060.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 132
Here are a couple of my blog posts that might help. The first is how I trim, the second is how I cook competition thighs.

http://thehogblog.com/?p=677
http://thehogblog.com/?p=221

Season to your own taste.

Read your blog post about the bite through skin, sounds like a great technique, do you check the internal temp on that, or just use the time? It sounds like it's well over 165, especially if it's falling apart tender.

Read your blog post about the bite through skin, sounds like a great technique, do you check the internal temp on that, or just use the time? It sounds like it's well over 165, especially if it's falling apart tender.

I agree, you would think that this method would result in overcooked chicken, and I'm sure the IT goes way over 165. Try it though, I think you will like the results! The chicken turns out incredibly moist and tender, and the skin is bite through tender every time. It also helps with time management at competitions (or for planning dinner!)

I cook thighs in a kettle at 350F to 400F, it takes at least 45 minutes to get them done. I am not doing competition chicken though.,
That is about our time line on comp chicken Maybe even a little less time if I can get the Weber to run a little higher. It is soooooooooo juicy and the judges have been very generous with the scoring. Thanks for the post.

Don't get hung up on "competition chicken, or other entry", if you make it really good, tasty, and just simply scrumptious... it's a winner in any competition arena.

Thanks Mister Bob,
Can't wait to try it, my mouth is watering as I type.;a;elrfn;alke33 ( sorry, some of it dripped out on my keyboard)

Good lord those thighs look great. Im not sure Im into the bite through skin though skin though. Maybe I am?

Is that what judges want to see, bite through skin?

What they really don't want is to bite into the chicken and end up with a seasoned rubber balloon.

Doing comp style chicken is not easy:

The%20Jack%20(545).jpg

The%20Jack%20(553).jpg

nice tray

Back