THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke Daddy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
JR
I have the chicken skin blues. Have conquered the 16 hr brisket cook, but I'll be d**ned if I can get the skin on chicken thighs or leg quarters to get crispy! I am assuming no one has crispy skin on WHOLE yard bird, so I'm not worried about that right now.

Did some thighs for the NCAA Final Four...were really tasty, just rubbery skin. Tried the "secret" (thanks so much!) of mayo and rub with a temp above 310*. Still no success!:evil:

HELP ME PLEASE!!

It's not hard to get crispy skin on whole birds, i do it all the time.

Follow these rules and it's a cake walk.

1) Direct heat if your smoker can do it.

2) Dry skin (brining isn't doing any favors unless you dry it overnight in the fridge)

3) heat baby HEAT.... I cook over 350* but most of the time well over 400* and even up to 500*

4) Fire is GREAT. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h92Mq15hpqs"]Chef's Select test - YouTube[/ame]

I have only been able to get crispy chicken skin when cooking it at very high temp. I have recently taken to just removing the skin and rubbing the chicken. Results are quite good without the skin. But don't miss understand, I am in search of that perfect skin also. I have had competition bite thru skin and I can't do that!

High temps man. Chicken dont do well with low n slow temps IMO. I like 350+ temps for clickers n gobblers, and I ALWAYS cook my chick wangs at 400. Skins so crisp you'd think they was fried!

Fwismoker:

How long to get whole yard bird done @ 400*? thighs and/or leg quarters? :confused:
I usually do 5-6 lb and a good average would probably be an hour and half. 400* Remember direct heat and 400* indirect aren't going to cook the same times but it should still be between 1 1/2 and 2 hours. Oh i do spatchcock and that speeds things up.

Don't laugh but I've even ran my Harbor Freight torch over the birds....fire does wonders, now it isn't as good as the laying them in hot charcoal but will definitely crisp it good. :becky:

High heat, like over 325 - I''ll go up to 450 sometimes - have done 500 in the UDS (burnt the skin too - you gotta follow yer nose!). Dry skin helps a lot too. As I type I'm wondering how much a factor salt could be in getting crispy skin, i.e. a good amount of salt should help I think.

For any poultry I use some methods from traditional peking duck process. Seperate the skin from the meat (they inflate the duck forcing air between the skin and the meat) and allow the skin to dry (fan directly blowing on the hanging duck). Peking duck is some of the best crispy poultry skin you will ever have, if you eat skin that is.

Below is the process I use on all my chicken.

1. Separate the skin from the chicken (if if you just pull the skin up and do not remove the skin).
2. trim/pull off any excess fat off the chicken and skin
3. (optional- mainly do this for thighs) scrap thin layer of fat off the back of the chicken skin.
4. (if you scrap the back layer of fat)reapply skin onto the chicken
5. allow the skin to dry out for for a minimum 2 hours in the fridge. I normally do 4-8 hours if I plan my cooks correctly.
6. Rub with butter, mayo, or oil onto the skin
7. Cook at 325+

That is my process for all things chicken. When doing a whole chicken I separate the skin from the chicken when I put my seasoning under the skin, but I do not scrap the fat.

I have the chicken skin blues. Have conquered the 16 hr brisket cook, but I'll be d**ned if I can get the skin on chicken thighs or leg quarters to get crispy! I am assuming no one has crispy skin on WHOLE yard bird, so I'm not worried about that right now.

Did some thighs for the NCAA Final Four...were really tasty, just rubbery skin. Tried the "secret" (thanks so much!) of mayo and rub with a temp above 310*. Still no success!:evil:

HELP ME PLEASE!!
If you want Crispy skin( Chicken bacon) you have to cook over high heat (350-375) let the Chicken fat under the skin fry it). Mayo will not give you crispy skin but it will give you a tender bite through skin.

If you want Crispy skin( Chicken bacon) you have to cook over high heat (350-375) let the Chicken fat under the skin fry it). Mayo will not give you crispy skin but it will give you a tender bite through skin.

thanks to all you kind folks for responding! confused though...when you say "over high heat", are you talking about grilling or smoking? I use an offset cooker for my bbq.

Back