A Weber kettle chicken technque?

hominamad

Knows what a fatty is.
Been using my Weber kettle for 15 years now for everything from grilling to smoking..and made all sort of amazing stuff on it. One thing that is elusive to me is perfecting my chicken technique. I decided that this season I want to really focus on chicken and getting a nice tender meat, along with the all-important crispy skin. I sometimes am able to achieve it, but other times my skin turns out rubbery and not so great..and I'm not sure why.

Here's a technique I've tried and have had some success with, but maybe need to formalize it a bit. Also wondering if there's some sort of name for this.

But the idea is basically that cook the chicken direct, lid on, but with most of the vent closed down. I usually will throw a wood chunk or two on there and cook it that way for an hour so. So it's sort of like a medium-heat-direct-smoke method. I feel like this should be able to get me crispy skin, plus some smoke flavor added in as well.

When I just do a straight indirect smoke, my skin usually browns nicely but is too tough and chewy. Is the key to do chicken at a higher temp generally? I guess that chicken doesn't need a ton of smoke to pick up the flavor.

Sorry for the bit of a ramble...don't really know what I'm asking - I guess just curious if other people use this method?

I specifically want to get my jerk chicken game down this season and I think this method should work pretty well. Comments or suggestions?

Either rotisserie or semi-direct using GrillGrates. Both will turn out a phenomenal bird.

Here’s are some quarters done directly over the fire the entire time using GrillGrates. Unbelievable flavor!

3950f0cb3d7682be9e57a9d95d5e5584.jpg

Here’s a pic a bbq buddy of mine just sent of a recent rotisserie bird. Again, killer method.

5ef3e5b4eda487f637393fc28f309925.jpg

Both methods produce excellent skin and a very flavorful end result.

Wow that looks amazing! What to the GrillGrates do for it exactly? Wasn't expecting this thread to lead me to buying new toys but if it does, so be it!

Wow that looks amazing! What to the GrillGrates do for it exactly? Wasn't expecting this thread to lead me to buying new toys but if it does, so be it!

Semi-direct heat. No flare ups. No more burning when cooking for extended periods of time directly over the coals. Read up: https://www.grillgrate.com/

And they make custom cut setups for almost any grill imaginable… including all kettle sizes :)

I usually go with a high heat, indirect approach and apply some olive oil to the skin before seasoning. Skin comes out very nicely browned and crispy. Have never had an issue with it being tough. A small chunk of wood on the charcoal will give a nice smoke flavor.

I’ve done it direct as well but I find the indirect works better for me

I usually go with a high heat, indirect approach and apply some olive oil to the skin before seasoning. Skin comes out very nicely browned and crispy. Have never had an issue with it being tough. A small chunk of wood on the charcoal will give a nice smoke flavor.

I’ve done it direct as well but I find the indirect works better for me

Yeah I've done indirect high heat too. That's probably my most successful method to get the crispy skin, but I found a few times that the meat then gets dried out - especially if it's a whole chicken or white meat.

With the med/low heat, direct way, I can usually cook it slower, which I guess produces more tender meat. It also gives a bit of a nice char, which I think is good for jerk chicken. But I've found it tricky to get the temp just right. Guess I will have to experiment by doing.

Indirect and crank up the heat. I run 550-600 on the Weber dial and get crispy skin. Also take internal Temps to 185ish.

Indirect and crank up the heat. I run 550-600 on the Weber dial and get crispy skin. Also take internal Temps to 185ish.

Do you think that cooking at that high heat sacrifices meat texture/tenderness? I wonder if cooking lower and slower produces better texture in the meat, but then gets rubbery skin. I've done low and slow chicken and then seared over the coals at the end, with mixed results. I don't know if I've ever tried as high as 550-600 though. Something to try.

Do you think that cooking at that high heat sacrifices meat texture/tenderness? I wonder if cooking lower and slower produces better texture in the meat, but then gets rubbery skin. I've done low and slow chicken and then seared over the coals at the end, with mixed results. I don't know if I've ever tried as high as 550-600 though. Something to try.

Honestly with poultry the higher the heat the better. Low and slow is good for tough and fatty cuts. I use a slow n sear filled up full and light it all up. Chicken goes indirect when fire is up to temp. I don't touch it until it's time to pull. Searing destroys the skin in my experience.

Last edited:
I found that a rotisserie used in the Weber kettle makes wonderful chicken, turkey and prime rib. It is also surprisingly easy to do.

F3299-E46-42-ED-42-C8-983-D-421540-C7-AB60.jpg

I keep all of the vents wide open and use this old table from Weber as a guide on how many coals to use to put it in the kettle in the proper temperature range for indirect and rotisserie cooking.

38D4B4C7-E1BA-46FB-8F47-B150DDA49AD2.jpg

I have had pretty good luck starting with medium high heat (250-300} indirect until internal temp comes up to about 160 or so for a whole chicken.

Then fire up half a chimney of fresh hot coals and open the vents wide to finish with high indirect heat to crisp the skin and finish rendering the fat.

I take the thighs to about 170 before I pull it.

Gives moist smoky meat with pretty crispy skin.

I use the kettle with a slow n sear and 3/4 of a chimney of coals to start and a big chunk of hickory or apple wood.

Haven't tried the rotisserie yet, that's next on my list.
I have had good luck with indirect at 250-300. I like to slide some butter under the skin of the breast. I also have used oil on the skin. But typically I'll use butter under the skin cook it indirect and if it's not crispy enough I'll throw it over the direct heat as a reverse sear.

My technique for crispy skin is taken from Stephen Cusato (Not Another Cooking Show on YouTube). He showed this when collaborating with the SnS folks.

Dry brine (salt) the chicken, leave it uncovered in the fridge for 8 to 12 hours to dry out.
A quick shake in a mix of equal parts AP Flour and Baking Powder (2 -3 Tbsp ea), some salt and any seasonings you want to add.

Indirect on the Kettle running at high temps, 400+. I'm using a SnS in my 18" Kettle. Flip after 20 minutes, spray with oil, flip after another 20 minutes, spray again, then grill for up to another 20 minutes until internal temps reach 185 to 195. Keep in mind, these cooking and internal temps are for dark meat.

For breasts, I lower my cooking temps to about 325-350, internal temps to 160-165.

Take a look at a few of my recent threads for pics.

This technique hasn't failed me since I saw it a number of years ago.

A lot of great suggestions on rotisserie to achieve killer chicken which reminds me of brethren Sudsandswine's roti basket spatchcocked chicken that so many of us did. This technique for sure is the way to get the best chicken ever. A bunch of us tried this technique and we were all wowed.

Air dry overnight

E4o5RPdh.jpg

Injection is optional but I did it

52rOyreh.jpg

Menard's $7 basket (Gone up a little now)
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/grills-outdoor-cooking/grilling-tools/backyard-creations-trade-steel-rotisserie-basket/m24785/p-1444450211793.htm

2XQfapGh.jpg

Spin it

dEw3sk9h.jpg

nlm5bSqh.jpg

Best dang chicken I've ever had

nohIDiah.jpg

Fat rendered and as crispy as a chicken skin get get

PRhIPNsh.jpg

After you dry out the chicken in the refrigerator, do you put anything on it to make the ap flour and baking powder stick to the skin?

My technique for crispy skin is taken from Stephen Cusato (Not Another Cooking Show on YouTube). He showed this when collaborating with the SnS folks.

Dry brine (salt) the chicken, leave it uncovered in the fridge for 8 to 12 hours to dry out.
A quick shake in a mix of equal parts AP Flour and Baking Powder (2 -3 Tbsp ea), some salt and any seasonings you want to add.

Indirect on the Kettle running at high temps, 400+. I'm using a SnS in my 18" Kettle. Flip after 20 minutes, spray with oil, flip after another 20 minutes, spray again, then grill for up to another 20 minutes until internal temps reach 185 to 195. Keep in mind, these cooking and internal temps are for dark meat.

For breasts, I lower my cooking temps to about 325-350, internal temps to 160-165.

Take a look at a few of my recent threads for pics.

This technique hasn't failed me since I saw it a number of years ago.

Yeah I've done indirect high heat too. That's probably my most successful method to get the crispy skin, but I found a few times that the meat then gets dried out - especially if it's a whole chicken or white meat.

How are you determing when your chicken is done? You are probably over cooking it.

Back