Chicken Thighs on the RT 590...swing and a miss!

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
So for supper last night, was going to do a simple cook, but tried to complicate things. Cooked some bone in chicken thighs on the RT 590. Wife prefers crispy skin (hates smoked chicken if the skin is rubbery). I normally stick to charcoal for chicken, but because of the pinch for time I didn't. Where it all went wrong...When I smoke my turkeys I use Pam spray to help crispy it up some. Genius me didn't realize the difference is I cook turkey at a way lower temp than chicken. So I spray the skin and after smoking on extreme smoke for 40 min. I crank it up to 425* to help crisp the skin. OHHHHHH BOY! All 8 skins ended up crispy burnt black. The chicken itself was excellent after removing the skin. So just when you have it figured out...surprise haha. Not my first blunder, definitely not my last. Keep that smoke rolling!

I hope your wife didn't score you down because you pulled the skin. For me, the only time I would miss the skin is on fried chicken. BBQ chicken, I will live and forgive.

Back