Chicken Safety - Pasteurisation - Myths

I'm with Bubba on this. I have a Rule with two things That I like Hot & Juicy but If I see Blood I aint eatin'... and one of 'ems poultry:roll:

I can cook to 165 and have very very moist chicken, even breast. Im not taking a chance on under 165 chicken. BTW I am a Food Safetey instructor and I know the concept of which he speaks of, but not gonna even entertain the idea myself.

I do a lot of sou vid cooking and while the article is correct as far as food safety, chicken, especially white meat has (to most people, myself included) a very unpleasant mouth feel below 150 degrees.

Thanks for the detailed info, very interesting article!

Cooking for myself is one thing but trying to serve "pink" chicken with that texture to others has (in my experience) been notoriously unsuccessful as they do not perceive it as "done". Right or wrong they want what they want and I make no effort to force my preferences on others. Much like rare steak it's not a taste shared by everyone subsequently I cook it they way they want it and keep my opinions to myself, nothing to be gained by disparaging a guest/customer. Nice to have a greater understanding of the science for those open to the experience however.

At an internal temperature of 150F+ chicken isn't pink. It changes colour around 140F.
Let me be clear I don't care what temperature you like cooking your chicken to. You should cook it for your tastes. What I am saying is that once you have determined the internal temperature has been held at 150f for the required time to pasteurise you can stop worrying about the chicken safety. AND stop all the bull dust that it MUST hit 165F.
John

I think it is the texture of a used breast implant that turns people off.

I am afraid that I cannot afford buying the "used breast implant" to conduct an adequate trial.:grin:
I love chicken cooked many ways. My target after safety is good texture and juicy and if it has skin, then crisp skin. I am usually successful.
John

If you don't even know the temperature that myoglobin denatures at, then I would not publicly pipe up with criticism about the colour of safely cooked chicken, coz it ain't a good look for ya brothers.
( Dept of applied chemistry and biotechnology, University of Okayama has some interesting work on it)
I have been gently trying to help with this for over a year but just want to re state here before this becomes a dogpile of posts dumping "I'm not eating anything bloody" when all that the OP is trying to do is help. More science and information is NEVER a bad thing.

I like filet of beef raw, blue or rare.
I would never do anything but happily cook it to well done yet moist for a guest who likes it that way.
I consider it a chitty thing to do, a graceless and low thing, to go on about how it is ruining the meat to the person who likes it that way.
The exception is that male humor we share when we all kid each other and pile in.

So I ask those who feel that their emotional response (revulsion at the IDEA) control their typing fingers here and not pile in with bias opinions that fly in the face of actual science, lest a decent thread go down in flames.
It is a useful and interesting thread, to those open and willing to improvement and change.
If you are going to stick to what you already do, this thread is not for you.
^^^Hey, was that poetry?

Thanks Doug. One needs to keep in mind that the USDA needs to provide an ultra conservative view that all the population even idiots understand.
I see that they also state:
"For safety, the USDA recommends cooking hamburgers and ground beef mixtures such as meat loaf to 160 °F as measured with a food thermometer. Cook all organ and variety meats (such as heart, kidney, liver and tongue)
to 160 °F. Cook all raw beef steaks and roasts to a minimum internal temperature of 145°F as measured with a food thermometer before removing meat from the heat source. For safety and quality, allow meat to rest for at least three minutes before carving or consuming."
I can tell you that I do not cook my steaks to an internal temperature of 145F. I love my steak medium rare and that is approximately 130F. What do you do. Do you blindly follow USDA?
John

I would agree with Slamdunkpro, that for most of us here in the US, chicken cooked below around 150F is rather an unpleasant texture. As is raw chicken, which I found to be quite challenging. I tend to cook my chickens to 150F or just a little higher for most Asian preparations, and then higher, for BBQ/Western grilling. Part of that is expectation of the audience, part of that is technique.

That being said, the most recent transcendent chicken experience I have had in recent memory, almost certainly was sous vide, then seared, and it was truly one of the best dishes I have eaten in the past few years. The texture, flavor, moisture, were all spot on. The skin was seared and crispy, which suggests a hybrid method.

Last edited:
Would you cook Chicken over your Ribs?? I have had Food Poisoning exactly 3 times in my life. All three times revolved around questionably cooked chicken. Call me a Prud, a through back or a Closed Minded Yankees SOB if you want but I aint going down that road again. I hope you never have to experience that.. EVER, if you do it will change your mind about cooking until it is 165+ I guarantee it!!

Would you cook Chicken over your Ribs?? I have had Food Poisoning exactly 3 times in my life. All three times revolved around questionably cooked chicken. Call me a Prud, a through back or a Closed Minded Yankees SOB if you want but I aint going down that road again. I hope you never have to experience that.. EVER, if you do it will change your mind about cooking until it is 165+ I guarantee it!!

Not with chicken. The guy used a rack of lamb in his example. And yes, I've had food poisoning twice. Once from Domino's and the second from Wendy's. Not pleasant.

Not that I do it, but, theoretically, there is nothing wrong with cooling chicken over ribs, if they are both cooked to at least a pasteurization point along the way. I don't do that, because I like my ribs to taste like pork, and my chicken to taste like chicken.

Although, I do roast chicken over potatoes, and pork over beans, so there is that.

So, I cooked chicken today. Hot N Fast. Brined and then rubbed witih SM Season All and SM Pecan. I cooked at 425 with KBB and a few cherry chunks. I backed the head down a touch since the SM Pecan has a fair amount of sugar.

I pulled when the breast was 142 internal very close to the breast bone. The main part of the breast was 150. I rested for 5 min before cutting up for serving. The juices ran clear when carving.

76CA914C-AE2A-4C68-8E9E-B8A0DF5D01DD-2131-00000292FB25F30F_zpsafac7226.jpg

71386097-F7C7-4BFE-B9A9-D5F6AB98D306-2131-00000293044D246D_zpsc5308fd5.jpg

The bird was moist, tender and delicious. I don't think you need to take it to 165, but this is a free country, do as you please.

3A0F7CFE-BBDA-4488-AE8A-29006904A7B8-2131-000002930B279EC5_zps1b23188d.jpg

When it comes to chicken I just don't want to mess around. I get a few chefs here and there who want to sous vid but when it comes to my food safety class its 165. When it comes to health Dept restaurant inspections 165 is the only number sous vid or not. Also I believe all bbq associations require chicken cooked until 165 and held at 140.

When it comes to chicken I just don't want to mess around. I get a few chefs here and there who want to sous vid but when it comes to my food safety class its 165. When it comes to health Dept restaurant inspections 165 is the only number sous vid or not. Also I believe all bbq associations require chicken cooked until 165 and held at 140.

I get it. It was only recently the FDA said Americans could serve pork at 145 degrees from the previous temp of 160. I'm sure at some point it'll change for chicken.

Ironic that while this takes forever to change, eggs remain the most common culprit of domestic food poisoning.
Chicken is to blame?:heh:
Nope.
Speed of food science reaching Moms and Dads....who still crack eggs on edges instead of flat surfaces.
On one hand it is retarded delivering information on what IS safe, on the other about what isn't.

Well what temperature do they require for beef both cooked & holding. If they (the chefs) are following the USDA it will require a cooked temperature of 145F AND I DO not WANT TO EAT IN THEIR RESTAURANTS!!!!!

Back