THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maybe you can help me. Every picture I see of the butter bath has the top side of the thigh out of the butter. When I've tried this the top skin was super leathery on the finished product, but the bottom skin was bite through. So the next time I flipped the chicken so most of the skin was down in the butter bath and the finished product had a nice bite through. What's going on here cause everyone post pics doing it the way you did but I can't get mine to work that way?

Just make sure you get plenty of the fake butter on the tops as you pour it in. Then make sure your pan is covered tightly for the second hour. Cook at a steady 275. The skin should be soft, tender and 'bite through'. Works every time for me.

Just make sure you get plenty of the fake butter on the tops as you pour it in. Then make sure your pan is covered tightly for the second hour. Cook at a steady 275. The skin should be soft, tender and 'bite through'. Works every time for me.

AHH! See I didn't cover my pan because I thought it needed to get that smoke flavor, but the dry heat just dried the skin out. No one ever mentions covering the pan! Thanks a lot!

Greetings,

Yummy lookin' burd!

Pardon my squirrely ignorance, but is the thigh bone left in for competition chicken?

Thanks,
Little Dick

I need to take some classes from you Mr.Bob!
Did you get the bone out or left it in?

Hi Phubar,

Any time you're in New York, you are welcome to come and do some cooking with me. I'm sure we could teach each other a few tricks.
As for the chicken, I leave the bone in.

Ok, I got a newbie on the contest thing question. When I saw the pic you posted of fileting the fat from the skin it looked like the skin was the only thing on the cutting board there. I just wanted to ask if you had taken the skin off the thigh to do this and then placed it back on before cooking? Sorry if question is ignorant but I just am curious. If you did it that way, how do you get the skin to stick back on until it cooks without it sliding off?

It amazes me the amount of trimming and all that goes into this contest stuff. Guess it is a good thing I'm trying to get versed up on all the do's and don'ts before I delve off into this comp thing. Knowing my redneck self, I would have just rinsed em, patted em off, seasoned em up and threw up on the grill just like nature had delivered em.

Bluehawg,

Yes, the skin comes off the chicken completely for fat removal. It just stays in place when you put it back on as long as you pull it tight and wrap it around the bottom. I don't use toothpicks, but some guys do. If you do, just make sure you count them and get them all out before they go into the box, because leaving one in would cause a disqualification.

What I showed here is how I do Competition Chicken, there are many other ways. If you're serious about getting into competition, I would really suggest that you get certified and do some judging first so you can see what other people are turning in. Then, maybe take a class or two from someone who has had some success in the game. Finally, cook with a team a couple of times to get the timing down and to see in real time all the effort that goes into it. All this will save you years of trial and error, and you can establish your own methods and flavor profiles that work for you. It's lots of fun, but it's also lots of work!

Those look absolutely delicious!:hungry:

You know, you could enter them in the Saucy Throwdown. They have a beautiful glaze in my opinion. We don't get many comp practice cooks in the Throwdowns though. I would think that would get votes. I could be wrong.

Regardless, it looks fantastic!:clap:

Awesome looking chicken.

Can I ask where you found the grate that fits in that half hotel pan?

That's a cooling rack. I get mine at Chef's Central in Paramus, NJ, but you can find them in almost any restaurant or kitchen supply store. They're also available on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Coo.../dp/B000HLU84K

Restaurant Depot carries them Bull. Don't know if you're blessed with RD or not, but that's where I got mine.

Looks awesome. I do it about the same but debone and finish a little different. Its like my dad if its not broke don't fix it but if it works good trinker with it it may work better. How do you do with it at comp?

Back