lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza

or more specifically, Chicago Style Meat Lover's Deep Dish Pizza

Amazingly, this (1) does not involve Sourdough Starter :wink: and (2) was actually baked outside on the grill.

Start off with the dough. 00 Flour, EVOO, Melted Butter, Water, Salt, Sugar, Cornmeal and Yeast (recipe courtesy of Chef John).

All together, ready for the first rise -

While the dough is rising, I removed the casing from some Italian Sausage and browned it out on the Golden's -

After rising for a few hours, the dough is kneaded a bit more and stretched out into my Lodge CI Skillet -

It should be enough for a 12" skillet, it's more than enough for my 10" skillet. Start the layering.

Provolone Cheese -

Crumbled Sausage -

Pepperoni -

Mozzarella -

Sauce and Parmesan -

The sauce was a meat sauce I'd made and froze a while back. The extra meat was a nice touch compared to a normal pizza sauce. And it was quite thick, perfect for one of these pizzas. No thin sauces need apply.

Out onto the grill which was running indirect around 375 - 400F -

I wasn't sure how long this would take, various recipes state anywhere from 35 to 55 minutes. Checking in at about a half hour -

Needs more time. Total baking time was on the order of an hour. My main concern was making sure the top crust was browned enough and the bottom wasn't burning. -

Fortunately it all turned out well. Add more Parmesan and let it cool a bit -

Finally, the moment of truth. Did I nail it or screw things up?

Success! We have Deep Dish Pizza!

Pizzeria Uno's eat your heart out. :mrgreen: This turned out pretty darn good. I've made skillet pizzas but have never attempted a Chicago Style Deep Dish.

Next time I'd probably add more meat layers (it could have used a tad more pepperoni) and it might be beneficial if I had a larger Lodge CI skillet so the dough isn't as thick. Mrs lunchman and I were certainly not complaining about the quality of today's experiment/lunch.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read through this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Surrounded by top shelf talent, embarrassingly I Smoke Oklahoma Bologna.
Fine Pie Sir
Respect

On man, that looks really, really good. Im more of a neo/ny elite kind of guy, but I do love a good deep dish now and then also and yours looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks pretty tasty! Love Unos & Giordanos. I know, pick a side but I just like a good pizza. Like a good thin crust too.

Thanks all for the kind words. Having grown up and lived a third of my years in New York I'm still a "fold it in half and eat it" pizza guy. :shock: The truth be told: I am not a native New Englander, but I do root for the Pats. :boxing:

Of course I realized I'm following a Chef John recipe, who is also an ex-New Yorker and he freely admits he's winging it on this one. Fine by me, so am I. I looked at Chef Tom recipes as well as a bunch of others and decided I was simply going to do my own thing for the most part.

Hopefully I've done this Chicago style pizza justice. At least it was fun to make and even more fun to eat, despite the moments of panic wondering whether I'm burning the heck out of the crust by baking this out on the grill. Thankfully I'm pretty confident in using my grill as an oven and it all turned out well.

My wife's already made suggestions for "next time", so this recipe is a keeper. Whew!

Regards,
-Dom

Looking killer Dom! :clap2:

Deep dish pizza has been on my bucket list for a long time.

Back