Charcoal briquetes in a Chargriller Acorn

Callahan-que

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Rick
Anyone have any experience using briquetes instead of lump in an Acorn for grilling? If so please share your results, thoughts, do's and don'ts etc.

When I had my Acorn I did quite often. Only thing I noticed
1. Let it calm down. Briquettes have a start up smoke that most lump does not. Most
2. More ash and quicker burn time. Some briquettes last longer than others
3. IMHO briquettes burned hotter faster quicker in my Acorn.

That was me. Others may have been 180 opposite.. another thing I experiment a lot with coals. When I had my Acorn I used them all. Lump was more consistent overall in all categories, but I often used briquettes

Most of the caution statements on that design of cooker for those made of Ceramic. No lighter fluid, etc. Steel aren't quite as tender hearted

There both charcoal.. to think there would be any significate differences is naïve.

I only use Briquettes in mine, I've never used lump. No issues what so ever. I also buy the cheapest charcoal I can find at Lowes and even Walmart brand and have had no issues.

RELAX, enjoy the process and have fun with it. To many people over think it.

Light your charcoal in a chimney... I use lighter fluid OMG... let them start turning gray. I usually thrown some non lit charcoal on before I dump them in. Close the lid and let it get to desired temp then adjust the vents... for me 1 on the top and 2 on the bottom seems to do pretty good at maintaining a 225-275 degree temp during rib and butt cooks. I set my phone timer and check it every 45 mins and have have to adjust the top vent alittle to either open or close. Sometimes ill get lucky and wont have to touch it all for the cook duration.

Again... dont over think it!

I am not familiar with that brand of cooker.I do know that lump charcoal produces MUCH less ash than MOST briquettes.I have seen videos out of a briquette that burns like/lump with much less ash.I have not used it so cannot comment on it.

Briquettes work in a pinch, but it smells a little funky if you cut back the air flow before the coals are all engaged. Tons of ash, burns quick, and you can’t choke it out and re use.

Lots of reasons why lump is better for this grill.

Back