Cast Iron cookware for side dishes.

Well, so far I have the following cast iron cookware for my camp cooking / bbqing.

Outdoor Gourmet Camp Dutch Oven. 12" (6qt I think is the capacity, 2 of these.). Both with lids. 1 purchased new at Academy, the other purchased at a yard sale for $2.50.
Outdoor Gourmet Camp Dutch Oven. 16". Yard sale buy. $3.00
Outdoor Gourmet 12" skillet. Purchased new.
Lodge griddle / grill. Purchased new at Walmart on clearance. $4.99.
Lodge square 10" skillet like the one listed above as the guys maternal grandmothers skillet. Used for pretty much the same thing. Goodwill purchase. $.50
Cast iron pie irons x2. Unknown mfg. Goodwill. $1.00 for both.
Outdoor Gourmet 12" Dutch Oven (legless) with dome lid. Yard sale. $2.00

I have been known to bake Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread in the square skillet in the smoker while the brisket is going...

I have the large Le crueset Round dutch oven.
One of my favorite pans to use. Makes great sauces and use it to Braise alot.

Dan

I love to cook with DO and the cast iron shillets..................

Attachments

• Rogers__Toy.jpg
    Rogers__Toy.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 51
  • dutch oven measures (Medium).jpg
    dutch oven measures (Medium).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 50
Okay, I'll jump in with a beginner question.

How many times do you cook on it before it gets that black finish?

Is that after just one seasoning?

Mine, although used VERY sparingly, never got black with the seasoning.

But I learned a valuable lesson. Even though the 2 Gallon New Braunfels Cast Iron pot comes with a fry strainer, don't use it as a fryer!

Farking peanut oil in the pores of the metal ruined a pot of chili, which also should not be done as I learned.

I had to boil a ton of water to leech that chit out.

Nice charcoal sheet there Pigman, mind if i copy that? :cool:
Although i only have 2 D.O's........i have over 20 piece's from skillet's to fryer's, all collected over some time, all very old and VERY non-stick!!
I love this time of year as we like to do a lot of open fire cooking in the ol black pot's!!:biggrin:

Okay, I'll jump in with a beginner question.

How many times do you cook on it before it gets that black finish?

Is that after just one seasoning?

Mine, although used VERY sparingly, never got black with the seasoning.

Mine blackened with the first seasoning. I put a fairly liberal coat of oil on the pans and then placed them in my over. I should post a picture of the bottems. They all have 3 lines running across them from where they sat on the oven racks. :-D

Mine blackened with the first seasoning. I put a fairly liberal coat of oil on the pans and then placed them in my over. I should post a picture of the bottems. They all have 3 lines running across them from where they sat on the oven racks. :-D

I seasoned mine in "Ken" out on the patio, because I was told the oven seasoing would smoke up the house.

Sounds like I need a reseasoning

I seasoned mine in "Ken" out on the patio, because I was told the oven seasoing would smoke up the house.

Sounds like I need a reseasoning

Yes, it can smoke up the house, but I live alone so no one can complain to me about it. Well, no one but myself. LOL.

Back