Carne Crosta Smash Burgers?

Dr. Trout Bum

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Greg
With Oakridge Carne Crosta being so good on steak, I wondered how it would go with burgers; specifically smash burgers, since the crust developed via the sear is so important.

So, I decided to give if a shot. I made patties that were flatter than a ball (enabling applying the rub), but still thick enough to allow for smashing the burger on the griddle with a bacon press.

44495471881_d4be92ba23_z.jpg

Got the Blackstone heated and ready for action...

42686476790_6ed67c6d6f_z.jpg

Burgers on and smashed...

42686476430_67f8fa1ec9_z.jpg

And now flipped....notice the difference in the crust between the area the Carne Crosta was applied and where it wasn't...

43777779394_5c37590145_z.jpg

I purposely didn't put any cheese on these. I ate two burgers - first one "nekid" - just beef and bun - so I could really gauge the impact on the taste. It was excellent...very "beefy" for lack of a better description. I had another burger dressed with some "fixings" as well.

Thoughts: The burgers (80/20) were excellent! Given the cost of this excellent rub, I would probably only do it if I was really trying to make a real impression. When the fixings are added, the difference is a little more difficult to tell, just because of all the competing flavors.

43777777064_a04c69a3bc_z.jpg

It should be noted that my brother-in-law said they were among the best burgers he's had...and they were pretty basic.

Last edited:
Looks really good. I typically only season burgers with salt for that reason that most people put so many condiments on they never taste the actual burger.

Steaks are a different story

Tried it and similar impressions!!! It tastes good but as soon as toppings go on it gets lost. I really only use salt on the burgers these days as well

You can come up with a knock-off version of the Carne Crosta that is plenty good for burgers at much less cost. The part about being lost in the condiments doesn't add up to me. If the burger is better off the grill, it is a better burger, period. Maybe you might have guests that don't want all the extras.
Try this for a starter batch and adjust to your liking:
1 T Salt
1 T Pepper
1 t Garlic Powder
2 t Turbinado Sugar
2 t Coffee

I think that it's a better burger, but at what price? I don't think the flavor relationship is linear, if I can use that analogy. I think condiments water down the benefit, though it is there.

With steak, the outcome is clear...I'm not adding all sorts of other things to the steak.

It should be illegal to add any toppings to burgers other than cheese, mayo, lettuce and onions.

Add a little finely ground coffee to your favorite rub.It may not be CC,but it will do for burgers.I love the Oakridge rubs but I have been using Dizzy Pig Redeye Express for several years with similar results.

Back