Onion Smash Burgers

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
First time doing smash burgers - and used the carbon steel griddle the gents at Royale Fab built me for my direct heat cooker - a little bit of a learning curve (don’t need a lot of charcoal to get the griddle hot) - but have to say that’s a great way to make a burger

Think I need to smash them a little thinner !

Was gonna say, they looked a little too thick to be smash burgers. I always go for no more then 1/3 lb of meat if im doing single patty, and 1/4 lb of meat if doing double smash burgers.

Was gonna say, they looked a little too thick to be smash burgers. I always go for no more then 1/3 lb of meat if im doing single patty, and 1/4 lb of meat if doing double smash burgers.

They started as 4 ounce balls - just need to put a little more smash in them next time !

I think I'm gonna get a griddle plate fer my Santa Maria after seeing this and the member's post from Alaska.
I really like yer cooker as it's a Santa Maria in just the reverse...my grate moves, yer coal bed moves...pretty awesome stuff.
Time ta call, Paul...

-D

They started as 4 ounce balls - just need to put a little more smash in them next time !

What size is your press? I have a 6 inch press that i use as a guide so i know how much to smash. A 1/4 lb ball smashes nicely into a 6 inches, 1/3 lb i smash to an inch over the 6 inch press.

So do you smash them onto the onions, or smash them and then put them on top of the onions? Either way it looks great!

What size is your press? I have a 6 inch press that i use as a guide so i know how much to smash. A 1/4 lb ball smashes nicely into a 6 inches, 1/3 lb i smash to an inch over the 6 inch press.

Believe mine is also 6 inches - thanks for sharing - that’s a great way to know if you have smashed them enough - guess I will have to do another batch next weekend !

Looks great to me! I recently bought a blackstone and already did onionsmashburgers on it... among other stuff.

Dammit Hojo..........you just keep making it worse on me, having to accept that your Direct cooker is better than mine

Back