Ground brisket, blue cheese, green chile, cheddar and bacon

SMOKE FREAK

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Craig
I started with 8 ~3 oz patties of brisket that got ground a couple days earlier. Put an oz of blue cheese on half of em. Then slapped the other four burgers on top and tried to seal the edges. Dusted them on both sides with Oakridge Carne Crosta and stuck em all in the freezer for a while.

While the burgers chilled, I roasted some Hatch peppers

Burgers went on the 26" Weber and were covered with cheddar as they neared done temps.

Of course I toasted my Kaiser rolls.

And it all piled up like this with the bacon on top and the chile underneath.

Nothin special but it was a darned juicy and tasty burger.

Thanks for checking it out.

I finally got a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid - so I'm new to making my own burgers but I've tried it twice now. You mentioned putting them in the freezer for a bit - and they look like they held together. My first ones I ground left over brisket trim (and some fat, didn't measure or anything, just eyeballed it). Cooked them basically right after on the gas grill. Kind of fell apart, not too bad but kind of. Second time I made the patties, left them in the fridge over night to "come together" but they still somewhat tried to fall apart. Still new to learning to make a burger that doesn't fall apart.... boo. But winning on making brisket burgers now that i can take all that trim and use it!

I finally got a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid - so I'm new to making my own burgers but I've tried it twice now. You mentioned putting them in the freezer for a bit - and they look like they held together. My first ones I ground left over brisket trim (and some fat, didn't measure or anything, just eyeballed it). Cooked them basically right after on the gas grill. Kind of fell apart, not too bad but kind of. Second time I made the patties, left them in the fridge over night to "come together" but they still somewhat tried to fall apart. Still new to learning to make a burger that doesn't fall apart.... boo. But winning on making brisket burgers now that i can take all that trim and use it!

Don't know if this will help. I also use my Kitchen Aid for all my grinds. I do NOT add anything to burger beef unless I'm going for something particular. But I use the medium grind plate and knead the patties just a bit before shaping and they stay tight for me. Hope that helps.

that looks AMAZING. I am not a bleu cheese guy, but I would MAYBE try that as is.

You mentioned putting them in the freezer for a bit - and they look like they held together.

I've been buying briskets on sale and grinding the whole thing after some fat trimming. Excellent beef and cheaper than the store ground mush.

The freezer was to try to chill the blue cheese so it didn't melt out before the beef was done. Also hoped that it might help seal the patties together. But I doubt that part worked.

I've been buying briskets on sale and grinding the whole thing after some fat trimming. Excellent beef and cheaper than the store ground mush.

I've been thinking of trying that. Any tips? I've never made a brisket burger (hand chopped ribeye, yes). Where do you source your brisket and how's the flavor for just a basic burger?

Is it the soft fat and membrane that you toss? Do you redistribute the fat more evenly before grinding?

My only brisket options are sam's and costco. Choice prices now are around 3.80-3.99.

I'll pass on the bleu cheese, never acquired a taste for it, but it's a good looking burger for sure.

Back