Can you cook chicken breasts on a 24x48 Lone Star Grillz Offset?

musicmanj

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Jay
A friend's son asked me if I could cook chicken breasts on my new LSG 24x48. That got me thinking, so I pulled out long skewers and I cooked up some kebabs on the firebox over open flame. I threw some chicken thighs on as well. I will be using this method again...delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_3678.jpg
    IMG_3678.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3681.jpg
    IMG_3681.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 257
save those pics for next time someone asks if there is ever a good use for grilling on the firebox.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

I've had this LSG for 3 weeks and have cooked so many things. The usual BBQ fare comes out great - pulled pork, brisket, turkey breast, but I've also cooked carne asada on the flattop, pizza in the firebox, and seared steak right over the flames. It's such a flexible cooker. I'm loving it!!!

Very nice , love cooking that way

welding looks very neat

Looks like some good chicken!

Do they make a grate to go where your skewers are?

The height between the fire and the grate level look ideal for a chicken cooker.

Looks like some good chicken!

Do they make a grate to go where your skewers are?

The height between the fire and the grate level look ideal for a chicken cooker.

It doesn't come with one, but I'm sure Lonestar Grillz could have made one. This came with a 1/4" plate that works as a griddle that goes in that opening. There is a grill grate that sits inside the firebox (near the top), but that's probably a few inches below.

The space to the opening here is really great for controlling the temp. I'm thinking about purchasing some expanded metal for a make-shift grate for now.

Looks Great!

Question: I do not know anything about the offset smoker. Is it a standard practice to use the firebox for cooking on top of? Over time does the grease become an issue?

Thank you.

Once you have the option to cook/finish over the firebox you can't go back!

Dacm5rD.jpg

Looks Great!

Question: I do not know anything about the offset smoker. Is it a standard practice to use the firebox for cooking on top of? Over time does the grease become an issue?

Thank you.

It depends on who makes the offset smoker. Lone Star Grillz designs their offsets to use the firebox for cooking. It comes with a cooking grate inside the firebox and has different brackets for adjusting the height of the cooking grate.

With the kebobs, I removed the cooking grate and cooked over open fire.

Grease would only be an issue if you don't clean out the firebox.

Nicely done. Those flame shots look fantastic!

I honestly don’t know why more people don’t use the grill option on these?? If I already had the offset rolling for reverse searing tri tip, steaks, pork loins, whatever, I’d just use the firebox to sear and finish them over live fire vs firing up a gasser or a weber etc. that’s why I chose the cowboy firebox option on my workhorse. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It depends on who makes the offset smoker. Lone Star Grillz designs their offsets to use the firebox for cooking. It comes with a cooking grate inside the firebox and has different brackets for adjusting the height of the cooking grate.

With the kebobs, I removed the cooking grate and cooked over open fire.

Grease would only be an issue if you don't clean out the firebox.

That is good to know.

Thank you.

Back