THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
Smoked a nice big rack of baby backs on Saturday, on my Ninja Woodfire electric smoker.

53228867523_2654e7d69b_c.jpg

The Ninja cookbook said 2 hrs. at 250 and start checking for doneness after 90 minutes. At 2 hrs. the IT was about 180 and it was getting dark out so I moved inside. The ribs were tough. Couldn't separate the bones with a fork. They certainly looked done:

53229060915_3c44e73157_c.jpg

So I put them in the oven for another half hour at 350. Still not cooked tender and they were dry. Not enjoyable at all.

53228866303_775637ff46_c.jpg

I know they need more time to cook, but is there any way to regain some moisture? I'll be doing it in the kitchen.

TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, look pretty dry. Maybe use them in "ham and beans" but substitute the ham with the ribs? I do ribs and beans a few times a year, using my leftover BB rib ends, or slightly dry ribs.

They would flavor a pot of beans real good. Not baked beans or bbq beans - I mean like a winter soup with northern beans or even mexican beans "pintos".
Or Shred em and add one block Velveeta and 2 cans of Rotel - we refer to it as "Hillbilly dip".

edit: pour the dip over a plate of chips add some toppings and enter the nacho throwdown!

At 180D F, despite how they looked, they weren't done.
Ribs are like pork butt, and brisket, they don't get "done" till about 200D F or so.
They will be tough and dry until then.
Cook them some more by some method.

Put’em back in the cooker.

I did it to a thick end that wasn’t quit done but the rest of the rack was.

I’d smoke ‘em to 170-180, wrap in foil with some butter and brown sugar then finish off in the oven to about 205.

I would put them on Foil or on a sheet pan, add favorite BBQ sauce on both sides, wrap tightly, put into a 250-275 Oven till they probe tender..........what have you got to lose?

I would put them on Foil or on a sheet pan, add favorite BBQ sauce on both sides, wrap tightly, put into a 250-275 Oven till they probe tender..........what have you got to lose?

That's the plan. Thanks.

Back