Camping, Cooking and Fly Fishing (4 days of pron)

DaveMW

is Blowin Smoke!
This is 4 days of camping, cooking and fly fishing pron so better go grab a cold one...heck it's a long post, grab a cooler.

Who says you are stuck eating hot dogs off a stick when camping? I like to camp, I like to cook and I like fly fishing and I had it all this past weekend. Besides, I had to break in my "F" series Smoky Joe.
We arrived on Wednesday afternoon, set up camp then went to scout the river. The first nights dinner was Chili Sauce Chicken and some cubed potatoes seasoned with a blend of herbs and spices. This was my maiden voyage with the Smoky Joe.

DSC01663.jpg

CampDinner1.jpg

Woke up on Thursday and it was time for breakfast. Today it was Breakfast Burritos. I used flour tortillas, homemade chorizo, eggs, shredded cheddar, some of the leftover cubed potatoes from the night before and hot sauce.

CampDinner3.jpg

On my way down the forest service road I ran across this little guy.

2012-05-16WVCamping4.jpg

I was fishing the Catch and Release area but the water was a bit high from recent rain. I did manage to catch a nice Brook trout before heading back to camp.

2012-05-16WVCamping9.jpg

My view from my campsite.

2012-05-16WVCamping1.jpg

Camping would not be camping without one traditional camping meal; Burgers.

CampDinner2.jpg

Friday brought me another gorgeous day and another stellar breakfast. This day it was Breakfast Sandwiches. Eggs, Bacon and Cheese sitting pretty on a nice big Biscuit.

CampDinner5.jpg

Friday I thought the dogs needed a break from watching me fish so I took them hiking.

Friday night and it is dinner time again! Tonight's Menu is Burnt Ends and Baked Beans.

CampDinner4.jpg

My male lab Bridger was a little tired after the hiking.

2012-05-16WVCamping3.jpg

Saturday was a quick breakfast of Homemade Cinnamon Chip Scones so I could hit the river hard with my fly line.

2012-05-16WVCamping8.jpg

The water level had gone down and the fish were ready to eat. The first one I landed was a nice 17" Rainbow Trout.

2012-05-16WVCamping10.jpg

Then a 14" Rainbow Trout.

2012-05-16WVCamping11.jpg

Then there was a 16" rainbow, a 10" brookie and a few more rainbows. I owe it all to this fly that was killing on the Williams River.

2012-05-16WVCamping12.jpg

Saturday night after a day of great fly fishing.

2012-05-16WVCamping13.jpg

I fired up that Smoky Joe and tossed on a couple of Ribeyes dusted with Simply Marvelous Cherry. If you notice my Weber Go Anywhere is in the background cooking up some cubed redskin potatoes that were blessed with fresh garlic and some herbs from our garden.

CampDinner6.jpg

And of course the plate photo.

CampDinner7.jpg

A shot of my dogs just because I always post photos of my dogs.

2012-05-16WVCamping5.jpg

Sunday morning and time for breakfast and another camping meal. Today it was Thick Cut French Toast made with Homemade Sourdough Bread and dusted with Cinnamon and some scrambled eggs. (Sorry, I started eating the eggs before I remembered to take the photo)

CampDinner8.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Sweet Photos! I just got back from 4 days of Wallyeye fishing and we are headed out on memorial day for another 4 days of camping and cooking. I'm even taking the Kamado with me this time lol. Your labs are gorgeous!

awsome

Nice trout! WHo tied the fly? Killler color for post rain waters! I have to drive 4hrs just to get ot some decent fly fishing for trout here in NC. Killer menu also. Lucky dogs!

Nice trout! WHo tied the fly? Killler color for post rain waters! I have to drive 4hrs just to get ot some decent fly fishing for trout here in NC. Killer menu also. Lucky dogs!

I hear you. I drive 5.5 hrs to get to those trout waters in WV. My other alternative is the area around the Smokies and I HATE the traffic/tourists and love the WV wilderness. :thumb:

I keep waiting for Cowgirl to chime in since I think her camping pron is the gold standard of good food while camping.

lol Dave Thanks! Your pics look sooo good!! I love the view, the fish, the camper, the food...I love everything about your post. Wish I could have been there!

Wow, Dave, looks like you eat even better than I do when I camp. Loved reading every bit of your post! :clap:

Great post Dave! Although my invitation must of gotten lost in the mail....:tongue:

Back