BWS or Pitmaker

I have looked at the Gator Rebel as well as the Spicewine. I have seen Jason's Spicewine, which is a nice looking unit. However I'm still leaning towards a PM or BWS. I did notice the PM is quite a bit heavier than the BWS, but my Stumps is also a very heavy unit as well.

Well if you're set on the reverse flow then I'd go with the PM hands down unless you need the light weight of the BWS for portability. That thick steel plate on the PM should last forever.

Well if you're set on the reverse flow then I'd go with the PM hands down unless you need the light weight of the BWS for portability. That thick steel plate on the PM should last forever.

Your Rebel is going to be one heavy cooker as well. They look extremely well built. Freight must have been costly. The only thing I'm questioning now is the perm. water pan in the PM units. I like the ability to remove the pan in the BWS. I sent PM an e-mail to see if they build the unit w/ a remove able water pan. Send some pics when you get your cooker.

Thanks,
JT

Your Rebel is going to be one heavy cooker as well. They look extremely well built. Freight must have been costly. The only thing I'm questioning now is the perm. water pan in the PM units. I like the ability to remove the pan in the BWS. I sent PM an e-mail to see if they build the unit w/ a remove able water pan. Send some pics when you get your cooker.

Thanks,
JT

Yeah, just under 1000 lbs – freight was not cheap. It's heavy compared to the sheet-metal verticals, but it's not that bad compared to a Gator or Klose offset with similar capacity. I was looking at a 24x40" offset, and that was going to be over 800lbs, but I decided to go with the vertical.

The light weight of the BWSs is a nice feature. They made a conscious decision to make a transportable cooker, but if you're not transporting it, or if you don't mind the weight, the extra steel seems like the way to go to me.

The rebel water pan is welded in like the Pitmaker, but I did have Rich at Gator make it shallower and put an additional drip tray above it since I plan on running it dry most of the time. Did you want to be able to remove it for cleaning? Or were you looking at running it dry?

Don't worry about the pics, I'll post plenty :)

Back