BWS or Pitmaker

BigDaddyJT

Full Fledged Farker
Hi All,

Well my thoughts of getting an offset are now dashed. I've seen the light and now thinking of getting another vault smoker to go w/ my Stumps Classic and was looking at either a BWS (Party of Fatboy) or a Pitmaker (Safe or Vault). I wanted to know from owners of each type, how/what you liked about your unit or not. Please note, I am not looking to bash or bad talk each of these mfgrs products. I am trying to make an educated decision on which to purchase. Being I am out here in CA, I have not seen a PM Vault or Safe other than on YT. However I just recently saw a BWS Chubby (thanks BBQ PD). I know unit cost and shipping cost will be two aspects. As well as mfg lead time aka "the wait". Any and all inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
JT

I used a Competitor for a season. It cooks well. I recommend BWS. That said, I did not like the hassle and mess and I went with Stumps. I prefer it. Less charcoal, less mess, less tending, and I prefer it. Your milage may very.

I can testify to the Backwoods quality and the quality of knowlegable dealers. The party and fatboy are considerably smaller and lighter. I think the competitor is more comparable. Never seen a pitmaker in action but I hear good things about them. Backwoods may be more readily available since there are dealers nation wide. Big Poppa is in your area and knows his chit!!

I use a BWS Competitor & Pro Jr. at the Hut. Also have a Fatboy. Love them. Rock solid - well built - and very consistent especially when used with a Guru or Stoker. (I use Gurus). If you go BWS - make sure to get 180º doors. Wish I had known about them. You'll also want a heat diverter. You won't really need casters as both the Party & Fatboy can be easily moved with a hand truck.

To make a more educated decision, you should consider as many options as possible for this type of cooker. Given this, you may want to look into a Spicewine.
They are amazing and are built to last forever.

Good luck with your choice.

I have had a Fat Boy, Loved him and miss him. I have an old school Party which still works well for ribs. I also have a Chubby, Lucky Me! I is on the back deck and Love My Chubby.
Well I guess you may get that I recommend a BWS!

I haven't seen either in person but the thicker metal of the vault seems attractive if you don't plan on moving it around much.

I have a Gator Rebel arriving mid month if you'd like to come take a look at it, also there is a brethren with a medium spicewine in San Jose that I'm sure would show it off as well. Though those aren't reverse flow verticals like the BWS or the Vault.

+4 as a satisfied BWS owner. Give Big Poppa a call. His pizzas are good, too.

"Go Big Poppa..."

Oh... get you the upgraded charcoal holder, too. The holder will then slide out instead of having to be lifted all the way out when you need to load or reload your charcoal.

+4 as a satisfied BWS owner. Give Big Poppa a call. His pizzas are good, too.

"Go Big Poppa..."

Oh... get you the upgraded charcoal holder, too. The holder will then slide out instead of having to be lifted all the way out when you need to load or reload your charcoal.

The fatboy has the big firebox. If you go with a party definitely order with the commercial fire grate.....well worth the 200 upcharge.....but by the time you add a diverted and comm grate you are knocking on the price of a fatboy.

Thanks guys....BTCG I cook about three pizzas a year but Ill take it as a compliment. BTW You will love your TRigg Grey class

I always find it funny that the threads on the brethren where someone asks a specific comparison gets....advice about other cookers. At least it wasnt YOure and idiot for not going UDS! hahahaha

A Bangs and I are dealers and competition cooks on Backwoods. I am biased. The Pitmakers are very nice units. With the proper accessories I like the burn time better on the BWS. Let me reiterate that I have have only seen Pitmakers at comps...have not cooked on one and the people seem very happy with them that own them.....

Love our BWS--sure a few things could be different but for the money they provide great cooking space!! Wish I had the 180 doors too!!

Thanks guys....BTCG I cook about three pizzas a year but Ill take it as a compliment. BTW You will love your TRigg Grey class

I always find it funny that the threads on the brethren where someone asks a specific comparison gets....advice about other cookers. At least it wasnt YOure and idiot for not going UDS! hahahaha

A Bangs and I are dealers and competition cooks on Backwoods. I am biased. The Pitmakers are very nice units. With the proper accessories I like the burn time better on the BWS. Let me reiterate that I have have only seen Pitmakers at comps...have not cooked on one and the people seem very happy with them that own them.....

Thanks Sterling,

Am looking forward to it. It'll be a bittersweet week for me, with my Mom's Hubby's health & all, and having to drive from HockeyTown (Detroit) to Yorktown, but I arranged to give myself an extra day for the travel. On the plus side, will be with my fam, and will see the Wings vs. Caps @ Joe Louis. May wear one of my Cap's jerseys. But maybe will just wear my red #90: Red Wing's Mike Modano.

I take it your class you sponsored went well. Would have LOVED to have been there, for the weather alone ;)

</hijack>

Same here...never cooked on one..seen a few here and there. Everyone seems happy with them...the only bad I heard was the weight of it. It is one heavy cooker.

I haven't seen either in person but the thicker metal of the vault seems attractive if you don't plan on moving it around much.

I have a Gator Rebel arriving mid month if you'd like to come take a look at it, also there is a brethren with a medium spicewine in San Jose that I'm sure would show it off as well. Though those aren't reverse flow verticals like the BWS or the Vault.

I have looked at the Gator Rebel as well as the Spicewine. I have seen Jason's Spicewine, which is a nice looking unit. However I'm still leaning towards a PM or BWS. I did notice the PM is quite a bit heavier than the BWS, but my Stumps is also a very heavy unit as well.

Thanks to all for your in puts. I have looked at other units besides the 2 mentioned, which is how I narrowed down my decision. I guess I'm going to have to wait to see a BWS in action this coming season.

Thanks again,
JT

I love my BW Fatgirl, but let me tell you, she would look real good in a cart like that PM Safe is sitting in!

in all seriousness, I would love to have a cart like that for my BW. She cooks like dream and I can lock it in at whatever temp I need from 225-450 using just the air vents and without the help of a Guru/Stoker. The Ergonomics of it kind of suck and I would like to have it mounted on a mobile table/cart. Raising it up would make the ergonomics of it a whole lot better and the mobility would be better than if its hand-trucked.

looking at both of them online (I have not cooked on either one), Pitmaker seems to be in another class altogether (build quality, materials used, fit and finish, etc). I know a lot of people like the Backwoods though, and they have a good following at comps. The Pitmakers just look to be at another level (kind of like a jamie geer pit vs a lang...both get the job done, it just depends on what you are looking for). Good luck!

I have looked at the Gator Rebel as well as the Spicewine. I have seen Jason's Spicewine, which is a nice looking unit. However I'm still leaning towards a PM or BWS. I did notice the PM is quite a bit heavier than the BWS, but my Stumps is also a very heavy unit as well.

Thanks to all for your in puts. I have looked at other units besides the 2 mentioned, which is how I narrowed down my decision. I guess I'm going to have to wait to see a BWS in action this coming season.

Thanks again,
JT

PM your email to me. I have a bunch of pictures of both Party and Fatboy with various cuts of meat in to give you capacity ideas!!!

Back