Bun Thit Nuong (vermicelli noodle with grilled pork)

ulc

is one Smokin' Farker
Had a pile of leftover grilled pork shoulder Korean BBQ from a previous meal so we mad our favorite non-pho Vietnamese dish, Bun Thit Nuong. It's basically cold rice vermicelli noodle topped with grilled pork meat, pickled and fresh salad/herbs, and fish sauce. Korean BBQ goes so well together with this Vietnamese dish. Match made in heaven.

A9ZvCr6h.jpg

vermicelli topped with generous amount of fish sauce

8tt8EGVh.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome! Great to see you around again, ULC!

Thanks Marc! I visit once in a while and admire members BBQ cooks. Retirement is keeping me surprisingly busy so even though I have more time, I'm BBQing less and doing lot more indoor cooking and trying to eat healthy. Hope everything is well with you and your beautiful family!

Admittedly I’ve never had that, but I want to!

Looks great!

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
I've never had that dish before. Looks really good. I need to know more about the liquid in the bowl. Looks like you may have spooned over the noodles. What is it called?

Thanks,

Robert

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
I've never had that dish before. Looks really good. I need to know more about the liquid in the bowl. Looks like you may have spooned over the noodles. What is it called?

Thanks,

Robert

The liquid in the bowl is the fish sauce. It's called Nuoc Cham and is vital part of Vietnamese cuisine.

https://www.hungryhuy.com/vietnamese-dipping-fish-sauce-recipe-nuoc-cham-nuoc-mam-cham/

That link explains the sauce and has a general recipe. We experimented and settled on our version of Nuoc Cham dipping sauce. We like Red Boat and that's our favorite fish sauce and what we use.

https://redboatfishsauce.com

Our Nuoc Cham recipe:

1 TB sugar
1 TB minced garlic
1.5 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 TB Red Boat fish sauce

(optional ingredients)
finely chopped green onion, red pepper, and jalapeño

1) Start with 1 TB of sugar and 1 TB of freshly crushed garlic and stir in the bowl until all the sugar dissolves in the garlic liquid.
2) Squeeze about 1.5 TB of fresh lemon or lime juice into the sugar and garlic mixture.
3). Then add 3 TB of Red Boat fish sauce or your favorite fish sauce
4). Add the optional ingredients. Chopped green onion, fresh red pepper, fresh jalapeño.

Hope that helps.

Back