Buffalo Chicken Wings w/ Slow N Sear

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Adrenaline Barbecue Company recently posted a YouTube video about grilling Buffalo Wings using the Slow N Sear on the Weber Kettle. Seeing that I recently acquired an 18" kettle and a SnS for it, I figured I'd give this a try.

I made the dredge mixture of flour, baking powder and salt, cut the wing tips off the chicken and separated the flat from the drumette. Dredged the wings in the mixture and let them sit in the fridge uncovered for a few hours to help dry out the skin. The only part of the video that I missed because it was glossed over was the dry brine which I assume is an SPG mixture for a few hours before the dredging. I don't think it made any difference in not using a dry brine.

I set up the kettle with the SnS and a drip pan, fired up the chimney, dumped the coals in and brought the kettle up to temp. I'm improvising with a long probe thermometer through the vent which seems to work just fine. I had thoughts of drilling a hole through the lid and adding a thermometer but that won't need to occur.

The kettle coming up to temp -

20 pieces of chicken after being on for 20 minutes, one row flipped and brushed with EVOO -

After another 20 mins or so -

Per the video, I'm not cooking to temp, I'm cooking to degree of crispiness. They're getting there -

And after about an hour or so they're done -

I made up a Buffalo sauce of Red Hot sauce (local store brand, Frank's is recommended), Worcestershire, honey, lemon, butter and a few squirts of Midland Ghost Hot Pepper sauce. Brought it up to a simmer on the stove and tossed the wings in it -

I made up a Bleu Cheese dip/dressing. Crumbled Bleu Cheese, mayo, sour cream, lemon, dash of milk, S&P, green onion. Mrs lunchman prefers Ranch dressing, so her wings were served with that.

Obligatory plated shots with celery and Bleu Cheese dip -

One of these will wind up as a throwdown entry.

As always, thanks for checking out tonite's dinner! And yeah, it was as good as it looks. The wings were crispy, yet still tender. I had no idea I could accomplish this on a Weber grill. Definitely a keeper. If I make these for a party I'll need to get a bigger Weber!

Regards,
-lunchman

2 Tablespoons AP flour
2 Tablespoons baking powder
Salt

Mix together in a zip lock bag, add the chicken and shake to coat. Dust off the excess when removing chicken from the bag.

As I mentioned, the video hints about a dry brine but doesn't give any details. Watching the step in the video again, I assume it's just a sprinkling of Kosher salt. I didn't dry brine mine, probably wouldn't have made much of a difference. I haven't reviewed newer YouTube comments to see if the question about dry brine was answered.

-Dom

Back