Brisket wrapped in butcher paper?

I saw this on Aaron Frankin's BBQ PBS show locally.

He did a test with three briskets, naked, foil and parchment paper.

Paper got the best all around results for temps and taste.

I haven't yet tried parchment style but have it ready to go along with the brisket I just saved up for....which is an investment these days.

He used pink butcher paper not parchment paper.

Okay 275 it is. I am cooking Saturday morning for friends and family and will post the results Sunday.

Here's another question for you folks who have cooked with paper. Roughly how long should I figure for a ten pound brisket in a 275 degree pit, smoked to 160-ish, then wrapped in paper?

We would like to eat at 6 PM and I like it to rest for at least an hour.

Again, I sure appreciate the help, you guys and ladies are great!

I saw this on Aaron Frankin's BBQ PBS show locally.

He did a test with three briskets, naked, foil and parchment paper.

Paper got the best all around results for temps and taste.

I haven't yet tried parchment style but have it ready to go along with the brisket I just saved up for....which is an investment these days.

update: pink butcher paper rather than parchment , I went back and checked. Sorry, I got my shows crossed up with another.:tape:

Okay 275 it is. I am cooking Saturday morning for friends and family and will post the results Sunday.

Here's another question for you folks who have cooked with paper. Roughly how long should I figure for a ten pound brisket in a 275 degree pit, smoked to 160-ish, then wrapped in paper?

We would like to eat at 6 PM and I like it to rest for at least an hour.

Again, I sure appreciate the help, you guys and ladies are great!

I just did a 10lb brisket cooked like this on Sat. But I do not temp when I wrap, I go by the bark color

I put the meat on at 6:45 am it was done by about 4 pm, 1.5 hrs rest was ready for the 6pm meal. Cooked at 275-300f. I got up at 5, started the fire, prepped the meat and waited for the smoker to come up to temp with a nice coal bed.

But you cant go by that. every piece of meat is different!

if you have a firm dinner time start earlier, a longer rest wont hurt anything

I put the meat on at 6:45 am it was done by about 4 pm, 1.5 hrs rest was ready for the 6pm meal. Cooked at 275-300f. I got up at 5, started the fire, prepped the meat and waited for the smoker to come up to temp with a nice coal bed.

But you cant go by that. every piece of meat is different!

I'm sure it could be different but it gives me an idea what to look for. I will put it on at 4:30 or 5:00 just to be on the safe side. I really prefer it rest a couple hours anyway. I just got a nice new Cambro too, can't wait to try it out.

I sure appreciate the help.

I'm sure it could be different but it gives me an idea what to look for. I will put it on at 4:30 or 5:00 just to be on the safe side. I really prefer it rest a couple hours anyway. I just got a nice new Cambro too, can't wait to try it out.

I sure appreciate the help.

sure

jealous on the new Cambro, bro!!!

make sure you let the IT come down to about 150F before putting it in the Cambro to prevent it from cooking in there

Wow, never heard or read that before. I have always just taken them out and put them straight into a cooler covered with a bunch of towels. I have been getting away with it though.

That is why I love this site. Thanks again!!!

I would suggest letting it sit on the counter for about 15-20 minutes to make sure the IT is not rising and even starts to fall before putting it in a cooler/cambro.

Then I saw some Franklin videos and tried smoking open to 160 and then wrapping in paper. I liked the bark flavor much better but it seems to take a long time to get done.

Check out this Franklin video. I believe it answers your cook time questions:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw"]BBQ with Franklin: Brisket Wrap Test - YouTube[/ame]

Also, you probably already know this, but a water pan going in with the naked, raw brisket is always very helpful in keeping the meat juicy. Try cooking it naked for 8 hours with the water pan, then wrap it in the paper and return to the smoker for 3-4 hours. Then vent the paper of steam, wrap it back up, and wrap the whole thing up in an old blanket or some old towels (that you don't really mind getting au jus on), and place the whole thing in an empty cooler. Close the lid and let it rest for at least 1-2 hours. The cooler will keep it piping hot for up to 8 hours.

On another note, the place I used to buy my butcher paper has closed, and I cannot find it anywhere else. Anyone know any national chains that carry it?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175804

It bears repeating here:

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Interesting what Franklin says about "super hot and fast" brisket, as opposed to a slower cook. It's when they sample the paper-wrapped one.

This is going to be an interesting day. I usually get roughly 10 lb fresh packers at a local butcher and all he had was 6 pounders. He had an extra 3.5 pound flat so I took it also. Even his pork shoulders were small, 7.5 pounds. It figures! Just when I was going to try something different (275 as opposed to 225), the meat is different too. They must have gotten calves in!!!

I was going to put a 10 pounder on at 5:00 but now I am thinking more like 8:00 and I am sure it is still going to have a good long rest.

I'm sure glad you guys opened my eyes to letting the IT get down to 150 before putting in the holding box. I'm betting that is where I was occasionally coming up with one a little over cooked.

I'm going out to fire up the pit then come back in and figure out how to post pictures so I can show the results. Hope it all works out.

Have a great day!

20150822_191032_zpsjnknzbdo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Okay, the cook was disappointing. I put the meat on at 8:30 at 275 F. Smoked it till the bark looked good and the IT was 175ish. Wrapped it in paper and took it up to 200 and probed. It took a little push to get it it so I gave it another hour. It was better but I was not real sure so I gave it another 45 minutes and it seemed about the same but the IT was now 212. I was scared so I took it off. (mistake I fear)

I let it sit on the counter still wrapped for 1.5 hours till the IT was 150, then stuck it in the Cambro. It sat in there for another couple hours till everyone got here and were ready to eat.

It was fairly dry and a little stiff. The bend test was not happy and it had a little tug. I am confused because that all sounds like under cooked (I could obviously be wrong) because there was no crumbling and falling apart around the edges when cutting which I have seen on over cooked meat.

The confusing part was the 212 IT. I have a Thermapen, brand new ThermaQ and the Guru probe and they all agreed so I know it was not a faulty read. I will say though that I was not happy with the probe test. I was sure that with that high of an IT that I had gone past the ideal point and there was still a little push when probing because I had over cooked it.

I am about to set all of the damn electronics aside and "go with the force", just go with the probe alone.

Any thoughts, wisdom or help of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, It still tasted great at least.

Thanks

Well if it didn't crumble and it still had resistance I would think it still needed some more time. like it has been said before, you can't go by temp.. looks good though. You got to love trail and error.

Back