Butcher Paper: Best Brand? Sources? vs Foil?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hello there.

Continuing my researching into what is new in the world of BBQ since years back when I last dipped my toe in....

I'm seeing so many people on the BBQ YT channels, using what appears to be red-ish butcher paper in lieu of foil.

Last I did briskets, it was somewhat in vogue then to season it...smoke it to about 165F, then wrap it in foil with a touch of your mop liquid and then cook it to about 200F or a bit higher, pull off, and then throw it in a cooler with towels to rest, etc.

Now...I see people taking their briskets (and other meats) and wrapping them in butcher paper...some pouring melted beef tallow on them before wrapping.

Now...I've not had the chance to hit my local Costco since I started looking into all this, so I don't know if they have butcher paper there...will check next trip there.

BUT...do ya'll use butcher paper to wrap your meats while cooking, resting, etc?

If so, what brand do you use?

Where do you get yours? (Sources)

Is there still room for foil in this new, apparently paper world in BBQ?

:)

Thanks in advance!!

cayenne

Ive only ever bought one brand of pink butchers paper ( bought 250 ft )which happens to be Kraft. Maybe its just me, but it leaves an unpleasant smell on the food after a long wrap/hold.

Boats now, eh?

https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Kraft-Butcher-Paper-Roll/dp/B0776JH663

Foil is Ok for foil boat……….

Rest in Electric Turkey roaster……..

That was going to be one of my coming posts.

The other day, I saw someone allude to a foil "boat"....but I had no idea WTF they were talking about....

Since then, I"ve seen what I guess is one...it appears to be when you put foil on half a brisket and leave one half open?

I'm not sure what that does for you....but then again, my research hasn't gotten that far yet.
:)

Like I've said..things have changed a LOT since I last explored this topic.

Thanks for all the help and insight!!

C

That was going to be one of my coming posts.

The other day, I saw someone allude to a foil "boat"....but I had no idea WTF they were talking about....

Since then, I"ve seen what I guess is one...it appears to be when you put foil on half a brisket and leave one half open?

Here’s a good video on foil boat method. Actual boating process starts at 14:55 minutes.

https://youtu.be/VYhJC8FN8rA

Last edited:
I use the 18" 40# paper from Amazon. I pull 2 sheets for a brisket and overlap the paper a few inches in the middle. I've never added any tallow to the wrap though.

Idea behind the foil boat is it leaves the fat cap to get crunchy and the foil wraps just the exposed lean meat. I haven't done it with a brisket but i do like finishing my pork butts that way.

AUGOSTA Pink Butcher Paper Roll, 18 Inch x 300 Feet (3600 Inch), Food Grade Peach Wrapping Paper for Smoking Beef Brisket Meat Texas Style
$23.99

The roll lasts a while so I haven't compared it to others. No smell, happy with this brand.
from Amazon.

Big butcher roll dispensers?

AUGOSTA Pink Butcher Paper Roll, 18 Inch x 300 Feet (3600 Inch), Food Grade Peach Wrapping Paper for Smoking Beef Brisket Meat Texas Style
$23.99

The roll lasts a while so I haven't compared it to others. No smell, happy with this brand.
from Amazon.

Thank you and everyone on the thread!!

I do like buying in bulk...with these large 175-300ft rolls of the butcher paper, do ya'll have a rack/roller type dispenser device to help store and dispense these large rolls of paper?

Seems it would be a bit to wrestle with, especially on a windy cook day if you didn't have some sort of heavy duty dispenser for these....

Thank you,
C

Thank you and everyone on the thread!!
Seems it would be a bit to wrestle with, especially on a windy cook day if you didn't have some sort of heavy duty dispenser for these....

I just have the roll sitting with my other bbq stuff. I've gotten pretty good at tearing off properly sized sheets, I use two per hunk of meat. So the roll stays indoors instead of falling on the ground or getting greasy. I wrap, then flip it seam side down while turning 90* and wrap again. No leaks, no exposed meat.

Make sure you get food grade butcher paper. Most if it is made by the same company but sold under different brand names. I drilled down and tried to figure out who made it at one time but have since forgotten.

I buy the smaller rolls. Pink Butcher paper marked Always food grade non bleached uncoated etc. I bought a many hundred foot roll and gave it away. I received a giant roll as in I'm moving not taking this with me it's yours. I threw it away. Currently using a roll from HEB that is about the size of a family size aluminum foil with cutting edge. It's almost a year old but super easy to handle and store. If I ran out today and just had to have it I'd go to Academy and get Jess Pryles Hardcore Carnivore or Lowes/Home Depot with Oklahoma Joe's.

Other topic. I've used several brands and have never noticed an off taste nor aroma when using PBP

The roll i got says its food grade no wax, no bleach no coatings.

Has that wet brown paper bag smell when it comes out of the smoker soaked in brisket juices. I have a feeling i have a better sense of smell then most, and all food grade brands smell like.....well......PAPER.

Back