Brisket Questions before tmrws. cook

Big Swole

is one Smokin' Farker
The last brisket I cook last weekend never seemed to tender up to "probe tender". Yet, the internal temps were that of a brisket that should be completely done.

Here's the info on the cook:

-Brisket was a "Choice", trimmed, about 10-11 lbs.
-Cooker was my Old Country Wrangler (short offset)
-Brisket was point end toward the firebox
-Brisket was closest to the stack, with a Butt along side near the point, and a rack of ribs about them on the top rack.
-Wood was Hickory / Cherry.
- Grate level temps near the flat I tried to keep near 225-250, with the dial thermometer in the door (located above the grate level (factory location) seemed to always show a bit higher temps (250-300).
-Water/Apple juice in pan below the food for moisture with two wood splits used as tuning plates near the firebox end (I know, weird but I don't have plates yet).
-small water can on the maid grate near fire box end as well for moisture.

Brisket temps came up slowly like normal and hit the stall and I let it push through ( I wanted to try to do the whole thing Unwrapped for maximum smoke taste and good bark).

Here's were I am confused and not sure what to have done. The Point was up to 200-205* WAY faster than I expected and the Flat was still in the 160-170* range.

I went ahead and let it ride. It was getting near 3AM (started late...put it on at 6PM that night) and I was getting impatient. The Flat FINALLY got to 200-203 and I pulled it. Approx. 9 hours total cook time.

I poured about a 1/3 can of beef broth in the foil before closing it up BTW.

I let it vent for 8-10 mins. and then Re-wrapped it. Put it in a cooler and covered with towels. It rested / held in that cooler for 6-8 hours I guess before I finally decided to get it out and slice it.

The Point was pretty tender but not the best I've had or done. The FLAT just NEVER tendered up. What did I do wrong? What SHOULD I have done different?

Biggest question - People say, "It's done when it's done. Don't worry Temps and go by feel". So...SHOULD HAVE LET IT STAY ON THE SMOKER UNTIL PROBE TENDER????? Or, are there just some cooks / briskets that will never tender up?
I am just afraid to leave it on and ruin it. Or should I have foiled during the stall??

Here are a few pics.

The first few Flat slices were tough and only a few in the middle would bend like it should for this bend test pic. Smoke ring wasn't great either (of course I know it's not really about smoke).

9E79E610-50F0-4277-BDFF-A9C3A475B04C_zpsnfudyrxf.jpg

93A63FC6-3339-48CC-94A8-79E521CD244F_zps2hc2ddvb.jpg

415EE481-A01C-4748-9E88-02471DC1950C_zpsqryvjvke.jpg

AD50586E-D2FC-4A89-AB47-9B3B0236C4FF_zpseo7z0upk.jpg

F732824A-7F7F-471D-B04F-F4A3891F87EA_zps0gjttt9d.jpg

And none of the flat ever passed the pull test. I ate on it all week after slicing, added some broth, packaging, and reheating for each meal. Every piece of the flat was fairly tough.

Taste was good but just tough.

I was just disappointed. The one the week prior I cooked hot / fast and it was great and tender.

I'm going to be smoking the other one I bought (Bigger than this one... 12-14 lbs.) tmrw. and want advice before starting it tmrw.

Ignore the Point - It's Evil and will Fool you. All Briskets are different, some flats never really probe tender. 210* about max but usually 203-205*.
Grass Fed Beef Sucks.

Looks like you didnt slice 90* to the grain.? Hard to see in pics. Makes a difference. When I prep a raw brisket I will cut corner off so I know where to start slicing. I lest them rest about 1.5 hrs on counter with just a kitchen towel over them.

Ignore the Point - It's Evil and will Fool you. All Briskets are different, some flats never really probe tender. 210* about max but usually 203-205*.
Grass Fed Beef Sucks.

So I probably should have let it stay on another 30 mins to and hour to see if it would have every tendered up?

9 hours seems fast for the way I was trying to cook it temp wise. Maybe it did need a bit longer.

ignoring the point, meaning, It could have gone longer too??

Last one I cooked was a prime and the thickest part of the flat wasn't tender until temp was about 208. I cook hot and fast at 275 to 300 and wrap in BP hater 4 hours as start probing after an hour. This one took 6 hours and then let it set on counter until enteral temp dropped to 155 about 2 hrs after pulling.

Looks like you didnt slice 90* to the grain.? Hard to see in pics. Makes a difference. When I prep a. Risked I will cut corner off so I know where to start slicing. I lest them rest about 1.5 hrs on counter with just a kitchen towel over them

Yeah, I forgot to really check the grain before it went on...Won't make that mistake again. I thought I was close though.

1.5 hours?? wow... I thought I've read "vent for 10-20 mins" and then "Hold" in the oven at 170 or in a cooler.

Yeah, I forgot to really check the grain before it went on...Won't make that mistake again. I thought I was close though.

1.5 hours?? wow... I thought I've read "vent for 10-20 mins" and then "Hold" in the oven at 170 or in a cooler.

I have held them in a cooler for over 4 hrs. To me the longer they rest the better.

Last one I cooked was a prime and the thickest part of the flat wasn't tender until temp was about 208. I cook hot and fast at 275 to 300 and wrap in BP hater 4 hours as start probing after an hour. This one took 6 hours and then let it set on counter until enteral temp dropped to 155 about 2 hrs after pulling.

I plan to get some BP, just haven't yet.

I guess I'll start wrapping after I.T.'s get 160-170 and checking it for P.T. like you said.

Also, may need to revisit my "resting / venting" time.

Pics look like you started slices on wrong corner. Holding Depends when you wanna eat. I don't wrap usually so don't Vent. When I do wrap I use Butcher paper so don't need to Vent. Deciding to wrap just depends on how it looks during cook.
I normally cook selects in 12-15 lb range in 6-8 hrs running 300*. A few Choice I've done went 8-10 hrs. If more Marbled Fat can take longer to Render to be Tender.

Pics look like you started slices on wrong corner. Holding Depends when you wanna eat. I don't wrap usually so don't Tent. When I do wrap I use Butcher paper so don't need to Tent.
I normally cook selects in 12-15 lb range in 6-8 hrs running 300*. A few Choice I've done went 8-10 hrs. If more Marbled Fat can take longer to Render to be Tender.

Okay, I make sure I slice a piece before rubbing / cooking next time to make sure it's at 90* from grain.

Gonna start earlier this time so I don't have to stay up so dang late..lol

Then more time on the pit would be the answer. And you will really enjoy cooking them when you get your LSG so you can get some sleep.

Okay, Thank you!

Yeah, I just got my email today saying it was starting Fabrication today. :grin:

Quit going by temp. Problem solved. It is merely a guide.

That's really what I was wondering, but was afraid to leave it. I will try it again tmrw. and see what happens. Thank you.

Back