Brisket prices at restaurant

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
So the Mrs. and I were craving some good brisket for supper last night. There is this one place about 20 minutes away from our house that has pretty good brisket and they cook on a huge Shirley (def better than the other 2 places in the same town). Their menu on FB had not updated their prices so I called to check out the price (I can be kind of cheap). They sell theirs by slices (1 slice, 3 slices, and 6 slices). for 6 slices of brisket it costs.....$28!!!!!!!!! They aren't super thick slices or anything. I know the price of meat has went up, but wow!!!! This blew me away. So no brisket for us, guess I am going to just pick up a full packer (12-13# @ Wally world is about $60). I know there are a lot of people who don't smoke foods so they will pay this and really don't have a choice, but I can have a whole brisket at my disposal for double that (and my wife says she likes mine better too). What are some of y'all seeing as brisket prices in restaurants around?

A couple times per year when I don’t have any brisket cooked and wanting brisket chili I will hit the drive through at Rudy’s BBQ for a mix of moist and lean. Last time I was there last fall it was at or near 7.99 per half pound. May do a drive by this weekend and grab a green chile stew and rice Krispy treat for the bride. If I do I’ll report back here on prices

Honestly, if its good and the slices are decent, that doesnt seem bad. Pretty sure 6 slices will be over a pound and most places brisket is around $20 a pound. When you factor in the price of meat, trim loss, moisture weight loss, cost of wood/spices......no one is getting rich off of $20/lb. That doesnt even factor in time or payroll for a pitmaster.

Rudy’s BBQ local menu pricing is online. Now figure they’ll give you bread, veggies (pickles, onion, peppers, jalapeños, sauce etc). Add a couple sausage links and a Big Red you can feed several people.

Last edited:
When I make brisket, I usually lose 25%+ right off the bat from trimming. Then another 40% during cooking. @ $4/lb on a 16lb brisket, that would cost me $64 for about ~7lbs of finished brisket, not counting seasonings, fuel, labor, etc. Figure typical restaurant markup is cost x 3 and it sounds about inline with what you saw.

We sold ours bulk at $22 lb. But right now brisket prices are reaching $5lb raw. You get about a 45% yield after trimming and cooking, so the landed cost is right about $12lb ready to serve. The normal thought is 3x cost, so that should be $36lb to have any real profit after you consider the fuel, labor, paper good, sauce, ect. So nobody there is getting rich at $28lb.

It is always going to be cheaper to make it at home, so that is an unfair analogy. I think Franklin is $29lb right now and selling like crazy. So, hold on tight. Everything is going to be more expensive. It has to be, simple economics.

Honestly, if its good and the slices are decent, that doesnt seem bad. Pretty sure 6 slices will be over a pound and most places brisket is around $20 a pound. When you factor in the price of meat, trim loss, moisture weight loss, cost of wood/spices......no one is getting rich off of $20/lb. That doesnt even factor in time or payroll for a pitmaster.

Yeah, I guess they way they market it on their menu throws me off. If they were to say $20/lb, it wouldn't have troubled me as bad. When you say 6 slices you aren't guaranteed a certain size. I have purchased chicken tenders before and all tenders (or slices in this scenario) or not created equal.

Rudy’s BBQ local menu pricing is online. Now figure they’ll give you bread, veggies (pickles, onion, peppers, jalapeños, sauce etc). Add a couple sausage links and a Big Red you can feed several people.

Thanks, Adams. I know it's always going to be cheaper in Texas than in SC, but our BBQ (pork) hasn't really moved in price at all (in restaurants).

We sold ours bulk at $22 lb. But right now brisket prices are reaching $5lb raw. You get about a 45% yield after trimming and cooking, so the landed cost is right about $12lb ready to serve. The normal thought is 3x cost, so that should be $36lb to have any real profit after you consider the fuel, labor, paper good, sauce, ect. So nobody there is getting rich at $28lb.

It is always going to be cheaper to make it at home, so that is an unfair analogy. I think Franklin is $29lb right now and selling like crazy. So, hold on tight. Everything is going to be more expensive. It has to be, simple economics.

Oh yes, it will definitely always be cheaper at home, and I know you have to profit a certain amount to stay is business. At the same point there is that equilibrium point you must find. Also, I probably could have added that the price of living where I am at is low. We are blessed with that, so often times things that fall in line in big cities (price wise) seem pretty expensive where I live. Also, $22/lb is an increase to what I'm used to, but it probably wouldn't have troubled me as much as pricing it per slice. Thanks for the info.

I totally get it, Sticker Shock! I have not yet found a bbq joint around that I have a desire to go to. I know there are some that say certain ones are great but, doing my own my family and friends agree with me. That being said it would be nice to find somewhere decent because it's nice being waited on every so often

I understand the resale viewpoint and thank them for all their work and dedication to the craft of BBQ. But DANG! That said, 5T Firehouse here is Jarrell is still 18.95...so far.

Put this into perspective... those Lay's potato chip bags at the convenience store used to be $0.99 for a bag when I was in high school. Now they are $1.99. It's inflation people.

Oh yes, if that was the case I would totally get it. However, due to inflation there are several items I don't purchase anymore (not saying I'm right or wrong. I just don't) Little Debbies being $2 per box is an example. They are very good, but only worth a certain amount of money. Also, one problem I have with this being "inflation" is that farmers are not gaining anymore profit from these prices.

Just drove through Rudy’s BBQ and the prices posted above are what’s posted on board. Picked up small slaw, bean salad and cream corn, one sausage link. 15.76 to go with Brisket I cooked. Forgot The Brides rice Krispy treat. Parking lot was almost packed, Help Wanted sign couldn’t be missed.

Sausage and sides. Great combo

Just drove through Rudy’s BBQ and the prices posted above are what’s posted on board. Picked up small slaw, bean salad and cream corn, one sausage link. 15.76 to go with Brisket I cooked. Forgot The Brides rice Krispy treat. Parking lot was almost packed, Help Wanted sign couldn’t be missed.

Sausage and sides. Great combo

I sure hope you remembered the Brides Rice Krispy treat in time to go back and get it

Even before meat prices have gone crazy recently I would see brisket prices on bbq menu's here in northern CA around 24-28 per pound. Some of it worth it and some of it not.

Selling brisket by the slice is odd for sure.

I don't know everything about food costs in a restaurant but from what i gather brisket isn't a huge money maker. They yield maybe 5-6 pounds when you start with a 12-14 lb packer. Labor to cook them, seasonings, wood, pickles, onion, bread, maybe sauce plus all the other overhead.

who would order one slice?......chris rock I suppose

xYi63v1l.png

You're a brass tacks kind of guy and I like it. Thanks for the explanation

Back