THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
I enjoy watching Mad Scientist BBQ videos on YouTube. Yesterday he posted a video about buying the cheapest offset smoker he could find at Home Depot to see how well he could cook a brisket. I found the video fascinating.

Most of us know that cheap offset smokers can be a hassle to use and you'll be babysitting constantly but can they produce good food?

https://youtu.be/jKV7n5RcL4k

Was interesting. But if he was your newbie, basic back yard bbq'er- doing a Walmart Select- not giving his undivided attention, and it came out "better than good", I'd have been wowed.

Like all of his videos...very informative. I want to see how he manages the fire and I also wonder about the grade of brisket he started with. Thanks for posting this.

No surprise there. I cooked good food on an Oklahoma Joe (which is better than what he used, but still pretty junky) for a while before upgrading. It just takes more work to keep a clean fire burning

Mad Scientists makes very interesting vids. I enjoy his channel.

Saw the title to this one and knew it would be good.

Thanks for posting this. I agree with him 100% that skill trumps equipment on just about anything. I bet he could make a great brisket over a campfire if he had to.

One of the long gone roadside bbq stands by me would smoke everything in a open pit which was literally a log burning a couple feet below a grate. No lid, no nothing. Just a log in a pit with meat on a grate above it. It was some excellent cue.

I remember my cheap hd pit when I first got going :shock:.

I watched a little and quickly scrolled through the rest visually and didn't see him show any fire management, which seems key to what he was trying to do.

Did I miss that from being lazy? :-D

I watched a little and quickly scrolled through the rest visually and didn't see him show any fire management, which seems key to what he was trying to do.

In the quotes he said the fire management for that smoker will be covered in an upcoming video.

I also started with cheap $35 Brinkman smokers from HD. It was almost a full time job to manage the temps but it made good cue. When I bought my first WSM that actually maintained temps all on its own it was a godsend.

No way I would go back to a $35 Brinkman but it is still a way for newbies to start smoking decent cue for not much money.

He basically "Tin Cup-ed" it - played a winning round of golf using only garden tools.

Not everyone can do it- not everyone would get good enough to pull it off.

Was sort of interesting to watch - but as far as a "how to"- not so much.

Watching Kevin Costner do the the garden tools thing was a LOT more fun.

He talked about it a bit. Charcoal for the heat, splits cut down to very small size added constantly for the smoke. He also kept adding charcoal during the cook.

Back