Brisket Battle -Wagyu Vs. Choice

Regular Guy

Knows what a fatty is.
I bought a Wagyu brisket from Snake River Farms as well as a Choice packer from Walmart. I wanted to compare the $139.00 Wagyu brisket to the $34.00 choice brisket. So I did and here's the results.

After trimming, they both were close to the same weight. I took far more off of the choice than the Wagyu. I prepped them the same, rubbed with a mixture of pickle juice and yellow mustard as John Lewis of LA Barbecue does and then I applied the rub he uses which is 8 parts coarse black pepper, 3 parts kosher salt, 3 parts Lawry's Seasoning Salt, 1 part granulated garlic. I used teaspoons as my "part". I made several batches of this and put it into a shaker. The reason I used this rub is that John used to work for Aaron and I am pretty sure it's a monkey see monkey do type of thing.

I smoked them with white "post" oak like they do in Texas. I put them on the Smokin-It #3, the choice on bottom and the Wagyu on top. The choice had some of it's bark washed off from the drippings above. I knew that would happen, that's why I put it on bottom ;)

My initial plan was to pull at 160° and wrap but when I went down at 4:30 this morning to check, the color wasn't where I wanted it yet so I let them ride for a while longer. I let them both get through the stall and then wrapped. After wrapping, I put them in a towel lined cooler to hold for a few hours and then took them out and took off the butcher paper and let them cool to around 145° then sliced. A little of the flat and some of the point of each were sliced. I called my Wife in to take pics while I was doing brisket surgery, some of the pictures were not so hot as she is a one click and done photographer for the most part these days. She used to take 10 shots of the same angle, lol.

After the slices were laid out, I had her close her eyes and gave her a small taste of the choice flat, then the little burnt corner that's the first cut piece of the flat, then a little taste of the point. The same procedure was done on the Wagyu, same order. In every single piece given, she liked the Wagyu best. It was more moist and had a deeper beefier flavor and was more tender. Overall though, I would say it was definitely better than the choice but if I am being honest here, it's not $100 better! I would like to cook one on an offset but I no longer have one. I thought about cooking them on 2 different Kegs but I went with just putting them on one smoker so I could say that all things were equal.

Here are some pictures to gander - there's a lot of'em so be warned!

Wagyu got the top bunk
aaron12.jpg

Just pulled out of the cooler
aaron13.jpg

Wagyu
aaron14.jpg

Choice
aaron15.jpg

Wagyu up top, choice near
aaron16.jpg

Choice
aaron17.jpg

aaron18.jpg

Wagyu
aaron19.jpg

aaron20.jpg

aaron21.jpg

aaron22.jpg

The "sample" board - Wagyu closest, choice up top
aaron23.jpg

Wagyu fatty
aaron24.jpg

Served with pickles, onions, red potato salad, corn on the cob and white bread ( yes, that IS sauce, I like it, sue me, lol)
aaron25.jpg

Mixture of Wagyu and Choice - The Rest is about to be Vac sealed
aaron26.jpg

Awesome thread! Both look killer. :thumb: I gotta agree on wagyu briskies not being worth the $$$$ even though they are tastier or fattier really.

You did a great job cooking them. I am a little surprised how much washed off the Choice brisket. Wagyu does put out a lot of liquid, still, with the binding and all.

Very cool post. Love seeing stuff like this. For competitions wagyu is worth it (if you know what you are doing). For home I only cook choice mostly because brisket still isn't my favorite to eat (I do love to cook it though) so I'm not splurging and my friends like anything I give them :crazy:.

Very Interesting. Thanks for posting. And the Briskets look great!

Yair . . .

Interesting exercise but pointless in my opinion.

Barbecue means different to different folks and, for me, it means I can make real good tasty eats out of the most inexpensive cuts of meat.

As pointed out by the O/P, eating wise, there is no way there's one hundred dollars worth of difference between grades or breeds . . . I can buy ten Brahman tongues or humps for that one hundred bucks. (big grin)

Cheers.

Thanks

That was interesting! I am interested to hear you say it isn't $100 better. I like reading these types of posts.

Hey thanks for going to the trouble to document this beef a Rama! I recently cooked an angus brisket and a choice and attained similar results for about 15% more for the angus.

We have cooked a lot of waygu in the last two years and have perhaps gotten spoiled....
While I still cooking and eating enjoy the more inexpensive grades of brisket somehow it's just a bit pale in comparison.

Thanks for posting the results. I love seeing different peoples perspectives on these types of topics.

OH, and those both look like some mi-T-fine eating

Nice test. I have not tried a Wagyu brisket, and really not sure I ever would spend that much. That being said, I have no problem going to HEB and asking to look at their Prime packers. You are only talking $50 or $60 compared to $139...

I agree with THoey1963, Prime is really as far as one reasonably needs to go for backyard cooking. There are just too many variables involved with cooking a brisket. Not worth the dough although I am sure it has potential to be outstanding.

I have a really nice IPB Prime packer from HEB in the fridge right now. BUT...due to the fact that it pours huge amounts of rain EVERYDAY in southeast Texas ALL THE TIME, I think it is going to have to go in the freezer.

I hear you about the freaking rain Springram. Getting tired of it lately. I have two briskets to do this coming Monday and it is projected at 80% chance. Again...

Back