Holy Grail (part deux)

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
After reading the "Holy Grail" thread (look at the link provided), I axed myself after seeing all the fancy gawd awful prices for Wagyu cuts of beef, do I even have the desire to ever try one at my own cost?
Answer is no, everyone goes on about the marbled fat melting under the touch of a finger. That to me, smacks of a greasy mouth feel, hoping it has a great taste to it.
So my question to the folk here, how many of you have paid the arm and half leg to try Wagyu beef? What did you think of it, gonna do it multiple times?
To those that have not, how badly do you want to make the experience happen? Put $5 a week away for 6 months and pray you don't screw it up while cooking it? Resale all your children's Christmas presents?

What say ye?
Ed

As one who loves beef fat, like the the big fatty part of a chuck roast, that’s like meat candy. However, the look of wagu is very unappealing to me at any cost.

Almost pulled the trigger one a NY Strip but I just couldn’t do it.

However, the look of wagu is very unappealing to me at any cost.

I also find the appearance of wagyu unappealing. I like some meat with my fat.
I've never bought it and probably won't anytime soon. But I did have some wagyu plate ribs (dino ribs) once. Plate ribs are naturally fatty; the wagyu was way too much.

I have had wagyu rib eye a couple of ties. Once in a restaurant and it was great. We bought another one and we ate almost have of it raw. Barley cooked the other half, and it was also good.

Nice treat but I have had prime that rivals it.

You only live once!

Kinda like Bourbon. It was good to give Pappy's a try but checked that box and will leave it for others.

We bought Wagyu briskets for competitions for years, but I went to one of the big meat packers in Chicago to get them. I would never pay the prices that Holy Grail and other sites like that are asking! Mr. Brisket and a few others that cater to comp cooks have better beef at better prices.

But, to anwer the question :-D Yes, I would buy it at the right price. Wagyu just has a richness to it that can't be found in other cows. When we were competing we would trim the briskets significantly and grind the trimmings and the burgers made from ground Wagyu were amazing!

A few years ago my boss told me to take my wife out for my 30th work anniversary.
We decided we would rather cook our own steaks and went to the butcher for some wagyu, came home with some N Y strips.
Neither one of us were impressed. I’m glad I didn’t pay for it.
Maybe it’s because we were not ‘used’ to that flavor.

Your comment, Ed about greasy mouth feel about sums it up if I recall.

I splurged on an American Wagyu strip roast for christmas this year from Snake River, it was one of the best tasting pieces of meat ive ever had. The American is much more appealing to me than A5.

I have not, and do not plan to. Prime brisket point is already over my fatty beef tolerance.

I'm not a fan of NY Strip steaks and prefer ribeye. It's about the fat content for me. A NY Strip doesn't have enough marbling for my tastes, but a ribeye does. I got a Australian Wagu NY Strip back in November instead of the ribeye due to the amount of marbling. The ribeye was mostly fat while the NY Strip had plenty of meat with a good marbling of fat in it. This turned out to be a great decision for me and I really enjoyed it. Would I do it again? Yes, but only for a special occasion like a holiday for birthday celebration.

Sorry, I can't justify those prices, even as a treat for a special occasion, nope, can't do it...:grin:

I like Wagu. Has awesome taste. Have had it a few times It is a bit pricey so it would have to be a special occasion to buy it. Might do so at a restaurant as we dont eat out very often. Prime is good for me if I can find it at a good price

Back