Brined corned beef for pastrami

Tkruse

Knows what a fatty is.
It's been a long time since I used a brined corned beef for pastrami... Can anyone w please advise how long I should soak in water( and change water) before seasoning for pastrami? Thanks in advance.

Other smarter folks will be along to help with specifics, but 24 hour soak with changing the water 2 or 3 times works for me.

I've done a few lately with good results.

Seems like a lot of folks say 24-48hrs changing water 1-2 times.

I don't soak at all, never had a bad result.

Agreed. I seem to be becoming more salt sensitive as I get more and more out of shape.

You still exercise and stuff, so that may yield different results. :thumb:

I've done two flats recently, both from Costco, 4 lbs each. One soaked for about 8 hours with three water changes and tasted good to me. The other soaked for about 5.5 hours with two water changes and was noticeably more salty. Saltiness is subjective, but I think the extra 2.5 hours of soaking made a big difference. With that said, will try to soak for 12 hours next time for an additional data point.

It really depends on the corned beef brand. Some are saltier than others. I generally go 24 hours with 2-3 changes of water with good results

Meathead's recipe calls for at least 8 hours with at least 1 water change. I have just made one with a full overnight soak (~10 hrs) and three exchanges. Came out great. The brined corned beef was a point from Walmart.

I'm guessing you are talking about a store-bought corned beef, not one you corned at home in a curing brine you mixed yourself?

Like Ron mentioned, a soak-out is really brand specific, and thickness plays a factor. Generally 24 hours is on the long end of soaking. When Sam's Club carried Grobbels brand, I soaked them 8 or so hours, with two water changes in the first hour, then one more later on. Member's Mark brand (which I suspect are packaged by Grobbels) are sometimes thicker, so for those I like 10 to 12 hours of soaking. I forgot one in the fridge and it soaked for 16 hours and it came out fine, so keep that in mind too.

Just as important as the soak-out is letting the rinsed, towel dried and seasoned meat sit in the fridge for at least 10 hours. I've been testing a rechargeable portable fan as an air circulator in my beer / curing fridge with pretty good results. It's sold as a 'tent fan' or to be clipped on a baby stroller and can build a pellicle faster than without one.
WHZa9Gh.jpg

Seems like a lot of folks say 24-48hrs changing water 1-2 times.

I don't soak at all, never had a bad result.

This and this.

I don't bother with the soaking, and I don't always bother putting any rub on it.

Thaw, rinse, smoke, eat. :thumb:

I've been burned with salt licks that were supposed to be meat. I soak 48 hours, changing water every 12 hours.

I use a pastrami rub when I smoke.

Back