Bride wants a shoulder to lean on

Ok, stupid question time. Why do you have a water pan on the grill next to the shoulder?

1. I don't spritz.
2. I don't inject.
3. Aaron Franklin says the water pan aids in collagen breakdown and enhances bark

The Primo Oval XL is actually pretty large. Both deflector plates are in place. The water pan is on the fire side. There is no fire directly below the shoulder.

1. I don't spritz.
2. I don't inject.
3. Aaron Franklin says the water pan aids in collagen breakdown and enhances bark

The Primo Oval XL is actually pretty large. Both deflector plates are in place. The water pan is on the fire side. There is no fire directly below the shoulder.

Ok. I've just never seen that done, but your results look amazing! Every butt I've done in my big Joe I've had the pan under the butt to catch the drippings.

Ok. I've just never seen that done, but your results look amazing! Every butt I've done in my big Joe I've had the pan under the butt to catch the drippings.

I guess this set up is better described as a humidifier- and like you at times I enjoy catching the drippings. This particular shoulder is going to be used for green chile stew. That is why The Bride requested a "brisket bark". Those dark little chopped crunchy pieces are really good when stewed. Both taste and texture.

Back