Boiled some steaks and then burnt them with 100K BTU's

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
While the headline is slightly exaggerated, it's basically what we did today. The Primo grill was busy doing other things so I thought I'd bust out the sous vide and try searing them with my new "Red Dragon" (why is it green though?) weed burner, which I bought primarily to speed up the smoker lighting process.

These ribeyes were the "cowboy ribeyes" from Sam's Club, about 3lbs each. My favorite steak to cook, not only are they good, they are crowd pleasers, and gnawing on beef bones is fun. I put them in the sous vide for about 2 hours at 132*, treated one to a modest coating of Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria followed up by a heavier coating of Carne Crosta. The other ribeye got rubbed with some oil** (more on that later), kosher salt, and some pretty coarsely ground black pepper.

I used the raised grates from my Primo grill for the searing process, with some aluminum foil underneath to catch splatter. Then I fired up all 100,000 BTU's from the torch and went to town. I probably spent about 60 to 90 seconds per side on each ribeye, hitting it from a distance with the burner and watching how the sear changed color. The Carne Crosta darkened up real nice into a flavorful crust, the heat from the torch made pulling the flavor out of the coffee easy.

However the **salt and pepper steak which I slathered in oil seemed to be a little more difficult to develop a nice maillard reaction on. I think the oil on the surface of the meat may have been to blame, and was probably unnecessary given the cooking method. I used no oil on the Carne Crosta ribeye and felt it developed a better sear with less effort. Also, the coarsely ground black pepper seemed to burn before the surface of the meat got properly seared. A more finely ground black pepper probably would've faired better.

There's definitely some finesse and learning curve involved with using the torch right...it puts out a lot of heat in a relatively small focal point. I probably could've used the cast iron grates on a hot Primo XL and done as good or better, but I like to try new things and torching steaks in your driveway with a jet engine sounding torch is fun. :clap:

Thoroughly enjoyable bit of pron & read-along envy.

Those are a couple of beautiful steaks, and I really like how you treated them before the trip to the "hot tub."

I never would've considered using my dinky little garden blow torch for searing something... and I'll probably at least fire up a 1/2 chimney of lump (for that part of the cook)...

No matter our differing thoughts that's a great plate of food, brother. We haven't had good brussels in a while, and I'll bet I'd fight someone for a few of those fingerlings...

Hope this finds you well and "recovering" from an excellent meal.

I'm gonna tweak some things and try again...for science. Also, as I was trying to heat the grates a bit after cooking to clean them off, I managed to catch the aluminum foil on fire. So.....theres some heat involved.

Great cook! Those are some fine looking ribeyes. I always pepper my sous vide meat after the sear because the pepper will burn.

Only 100,000 BTU? My torches are 500,000 and 400,000 BTU’s and I don’t know how I could get by with so little heat! :-D

Yeah...I didnt trust myself with that many BTU's for my first torch :-o and 100K was enough to light aluminum on fire with a quick direct hit...so it was at least 1200ish degrees.

I like the experimentation

Sure hope we get some significant rain so the burn ban will be lifted.

Yeah...I didnt trust myself with that many BTU's for my first torch :-o and 100K was enough to light aluminum on fire with a quick direct hit...so it was at least 1200ish degrees.

I am a Tim Taylor disciple so the main reason I went with the 500,000 BTU torch was I couldn’t find a 1,000,000 BTU version. :-D

A fun, interesting and tasty post! Thanks!

Any reaction from your neighbors?

And now I need a sous vide. Those steaks look perfect

I can usually do the same with a reverse sear on the Primo, but this was a more convenient process in that I could let the steaks just sit in the water bath until I/guest were ready. It definitely has a place. Is it better/worse than grilling? Dunno...preference probably...just another tool in the toolbox.

A fun, interesting and tasty post! Thanks!

Any reaction from your neighbors?

Not that I'm aware of, but they're probably used to my shenanigans. The torch is fairly loud though, so it's an attention getter.

I dunno.....I ain't gonna boil ribeyes. If I want French, I'll go with the fries. (That were originally cooked in Greece, by the way :wink:)

Back