Starting fresh with the Blackstone

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I’ve had this Blackstone 22” griddle for a little while now and cooked a good bit of food on it. A few months back I noticed the finish was starting to flake off. I think I may have been using too much water for cleanup. I couldn’t get new seasoning on it without more flaking off, so I haven’t used it much lately as a result. I tried spraying grill/oven cleaner on it, putting it in a black trash bag, and letting it sit in the sun, but it didn’t seem to remove much even with some scraping. Decided to use an abrasive disc attached to my drill, and that worked great. About 20 minutes of grinding later, I was down to bare metal. The seasoning finish was actually quite thick.

Then I applied several thin layers of avocado oil and heat cycled it, and I once again have a nice smooth nonstick surface. Time to do some griddlin’ again :thumb:

I should do the same to my Hunsaker.
It aint purty but stuff don't stick. So, I don't.

Looks like you are ready to cook up a mess of good eats!

Neil, your post is very timely as the surface of my BS griddle is starting to flake off a bit, and I wasn't exactly sure what to do. Great job, and thanks for posting this! :clap2:

Crazy. On the fence as to whether or not to redo my flattop before summer is in full swing. Great minds? …

Yeah, let go with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looking good!!
I haven't checked my blackstone in awhile. Thanks for the inspiration! :grin:

It's a lot of work but sometimes necessary. Mine is in good shape and I don't look forward to the day I need to do this again.

Griddle away!

Back