Big Phils blue smoke

i have the kindling cracker, i have to use a pretty big sledge hammer to drive my oak splits thru it, with quite a lot of force

I think I use a five pound sledge but will need to double check.

There are 2 sizes of KC, I have both and only the large is capable of cutting splits in half. The smaller one is for chunks or light duty splitting.

Beautiful smoker Erikg!

I believe I asked you this a while back on a different thread, but would you be willing to disclose your freight cost? I see you're in Oakland and I am in Phoenix area. While not super close, it'll give me a ballpark of what to expect to pay.

If you're unwilling to disclose, I apologize for bugging you on that front.

Regardless, enjoy the smoker!

Thank you
Sorry I didn’t respond to you on the other thread. So Phil puts the smoker up to bid on uShip. I got quotes from 550 to well over 4000. I ended up paying 850 because I couldn’t make the lowest bid work with my schedule. When I was shopping smokers shipping was a big part of the expense so 850 to Northern California wasn’t bad. I would imagine Arizona wouldn’t be bad but Phil can’t really give you a quote since he doesn’t ship it. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Do you have the large Kindling Cracker? It may be help. I use mostly almond wood and am able to split it with the KC, although I agree it is harder than most other wood I’ve split. And knots are a PIA!

Congrats again on a fine cooker!

I got an off brand one. It’s 8” wide. Do you use a 4lb single jack? Some logs weren’t bad but others weren’t worth the effort lol

I got an off brand one. It’s 8” wide. Do you use a 4lb single jack? Some logs weren’t bad but others weren’t worth the effort lol

I use a 5lber, I think, but need to check. KC is also 8 inch diameter. I select each piece of wood when I buy so I don’t get too large or odd shaped splits.

@Erik, I got your PM, sending a reply shows your inbox is full. So in short, thanks for the info!

Looking forward to more cook pics on that thing.

Back