White Oak Question

SkaterSmoker

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
MJ
Thanks in advance and I realize this may be a dumb question. I just got some new splits of white oak. The wood guy said the whole logs have been sitting out for over two years, but he just split them down to splits yesterday (they’re very heavy/wet). You can see several of the ends are a dark black color (I faced all the dark black ones forward). It’s only on one end of those splits, so I’m assuming it was the end of the logs that was exposed to the weather. These still have a year or so to season. When I use it in the smoker is that black color mold or something I should be worried about and cut the ends off of those pieces?

Last edited:
I think it’s obvious I need to clip off those ends. I’m lazy and didn’t want to, but it’s only going to take a few hours max so the writing is on the wall.

The discoloration is too uniform to be mold. It is probably from oxidation caused by excessive moisture and improper storage. It should not affect cooking.

Don't worry about the ends of the sticks. They're not a problem.
What you need to do is fix the stack. It's low in the middle and the top will not drain well causing you trouble down the road.

Don't worry about the ends of the sticks. They're not a problem.
What you need to do is fix the stack. It's low in the middle and the top will not drain well causing you trouble down the road.

Good idea, thanks. I’ll stack some splits in the middle to create an apex.

Yeah you’re good. You could probably start using sooner than you think too…

I like a year or two on my fireplace wood but 6 months seems fine on the smoker assuming I have some dry wood to mix in

Yeah you’re good. You could probably start using sooner than you think too…

I like a year or two on my fireplace wood but 6 months seems fine on the smoker assuming I have some dry wood to mix in

I agree with this. I have a lot of red oak. 1-2 years and it's so dry it burns up fast. I have hot spikes and then it cools quickly. I have to tend my fires more because it's so dry. The dry wood also burns so clean I have less smoke flavor.

Plus if it's already been cut down it's been drying anyhow. Maybe not as fast as split wood, but still drying.

I agree with this. I have a lot of red oak. 1-2 years and it's so dry it burns up fast. I have hot spikes and then it cools quickly. I have to tend my fires more because it's so dry. The dry wood also burns so clean I have less smoke flavor.

Plus if it's already been cut down it's been drying anyhow. Maybe not as fast as split wood, but still drying.

The way your cooker is running is indicative of improper air control or uncontrolled air leaks. My bet is leaks. Get your air flow under control and your highs and lows will mostly go away. Also your dryer wood won't burn too fast or too clean. It will only burn as fast as the air you feed it will allow it to burn. Don't try to use green wood for fire control. Use your damper and air.

^^^^^

It's a Lone Star Grillz 20 X 42". I don't have any major leaks, but I've definitely had issues with keeping the fire just right. Open the air intake too little and it just smolders dirty, a tad more and it burns up fast. But as I said, been using 2 year old wood. I just cut some new oak in November and I think it'll be good for spring to see how it goes.

Yup!
most of my smokin wood is a little punky on the outside due to oakwilt......
those black ends would cause the least of concerns.
I could not imagine ya being able to tell the differnce.
:-D

Back