THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not be a Debbie downer but ar this point I agree with longhair75, but I think with any pit u buy now this travesty is gonna be brought to the front of your mind for a while. That being said tho, take your business elsewhere and I bet that thought could be trump by another thought like "I have a pit now, and it was a much better experience and a better pit"

Looks like I have to take this to court now he won't even return my text. Someone asked why I text him and don't call him it's because he quit returning my calls once I sent him a check. One good thing about texting is I have a record of our conversations. I don't understand how someone can do this to somebody this is no different than taking the money right out of my wallet. I am going to file a complaint with the better business bureau the Texas Attorney General and file a small claims complaint at the courthouse. Any other Ideas?

depending on the bank you have 90-180 days to return a check. i would check with your bank first thing tomorrow morning. i bet you get his attention when the funds get pulled from his account. then he can decide whether he wants to finish the build and get all his money or just walk away. either way you are in a much better position than just waiting and worrying.

Looks like I have to take this to court now he won't even return my text. Someone asked why I text him and don't call him it's because he quit returning my calls once I sent him a check. One good thing about texting is I have a record of our conversations. I don't understand how someone can do this to somebody this is no different than taking the money right out of my wallet. I am going to file a complaint with the better business bureau the Texas Attorney General and file a small claims complaint at the courthouse. Any other Ideas?

Did you call your bank?

I'll check in the morning they way I understood you can't cancel a check once it's been cashed.

Hopefully you can.

Every state/county is different in terms of the largest amount you can file for in small claims court. In Kansas, it's up to $4000, so you can do this yourself via small claims, vs hiring an attorney. In the meantime you could use the services of a lawyer to write a very intimidating letter threatening immediate legal action and notifying the BBB, district attorney for potential theft/fraud charges if he doesn't return your deposit within 72 hours of receipt of the letter.

http://www.kscourts.org/pdf/small-claims/Small Claims Procedure.pdf

I was just on R&O smokers Facebook page and left him poor feedback I would like to see every brother on here that has dealt with is crap go on there and do the same. Let's help stop him from doing this to someone else.

Sorry to hear your going to have to turn the heat up Knothead...

Here's to hoping you can get your money back, from the sounds of things, he doesn't have the money for a refund nor the money to buy your material... I have always been leery of giving very much of a deposit...

I almost hate to run down his business because maybe some poor sucker like me will put down a deposit then maybe I could get my money back. But I hate to see somebody else go through what I did.

Good luck in small claims court. I went down that route with a contractor and even though I won, I never got a penny. You can't take something from someone if they don't have it to take.

Oh fark no, can you show up with the sheriff to repo your assets? The bank in some cases can begin to retrieve funds as he basically committed fraud, but you have to sign an affidavit and file a police report, if I remember correctly.

The sad thing I just checked his website, and he builds some nice pits! Pity he can't come through. Heck, I'm going to take some ideas off his page!

Hopefully this isn't completely off topic.

I wish you the best. I had a similar money situation, last year. I was having issues with my trucks engine. Replaced the entire distributor, plugs, wires, and fuel injectors. Still had the same problem. I took it to a "reputable" shop. Place had been in business, for many years. Told him what it was doing, and what I had done. I called, after a week, they're still working on it. Called a week later, was told to leave them alone, and let them do their job. 2 weeks later, they call, and ask when am I getting my truck?

A month after I dropped it off, I'm getting my truck. They charged me $300, and said the problem was fixed. I asked what they did. Was told, they changed the plugs, wires, and distributor cap. I paid the man, and bit my tongue. Surprise, surprise, half way home, the check engine light comes on. I scan it, when I get home, and get the same code. I was so livid, I couldn't even talk. Took it to the Chevy dealer, the next day. A week later, I had a new short block, and a smooth running truck.

All I could think of to do, review Yona's Automotive on Yelp. I told my whole story, and highly recommended no one use their services (probably should've gone to the BBB site as well).

I only post this to say, maybe we both used businesses, that couldn't do what they promised. I doubt either company set out to screw us, but maybe they were both over their heads. Regardless, I still have a bad taste in my mouth.

Matt

Forget if it's permitted. The man lost all courtesy when he took his money and cut ties. I say post away, if anything, that forum should be happy you're warning them of this dude.

the reason i say find out if you can post something like this is if he is not an established member as a new member his post will be reviewed before being posted and they may not post it.

I just got a text from him he wasn't to happy about the review we left on his Facebook page. He agreed to overnight the refund so we will see. I appreciate the offer but let's layoff the texasbbq forum my refund might be on the way and I don't want to jeopardize it.

do not get your hopes up since he has not done anything he has said yet but I hope things go your way and after I would still notify the BBB .

OMG, can't believe that could happen from a pit builder. I had a great experience with my pit, so sorry you have had the problems you've had. I thought BBQ builders were like Bass boat builders, just good O'l boys, guess not. Keep us posted!

Back