Beware R&O smokers

It sounds like it's time to tell him produce the cooker by set date or you'll start legal action. That being said it sound's like he has been down this road before. Hope you have a copy of your your deposit.

So sad to here your experience with your smoker. You entrusted your confidence and your hard earned money to the pit builder of your choice. He owes you his best quality and a great experience from the deposit to the delivery of your new cooker. R/O you need to step up and do the right thing here. The world is watching this and it is up-to you to resolve this customers concerns. Hope it works out for you.

It sounds like it's time to tell him produce the cooker by set date or you'll start legal action. That being said it sound's like he has been down this road before. Hope you have a copy of your your deposit.
I made my deposit by check that helps. I have also saved all communications with R&O on my phone. I told him last week that they had a week to produce my smoker. After that I will seek legal help. Really hoping we can resolve it by then.

At this point I wouldn't even want a smoker for this company. Can you imagine if some aspect of the build went wrong? Good luck getting that fixed. Too many other builders that appreciate your business and are proud to provide good service. Good luck OP. I hope this works out for you.

depending on the bank you have 90-180 days to return a check. i would check with your bank first thing tomorrow morning. i bet you get his attention when the funds get pulled from his account. then he can decide whether he wants to finish the build and get all his money or just walk away. either way you are in a much better position than just waiting and worrying.

I went through a similar experience when I ordered my R&O trailer about 3 yrs. ago. Was told it would take 6 weeks, wound up taking about 4 months.

To his credit, Billy knocked a significant amount off the price due to the delay. He's not much of a business man but he is an artist as a welder. The delay was frustrating but if you can wait it out, you will have a beautiful pit that cooks like a dream.

Good luck.

depending on the bank you have 90-180 days to return a check. i would check with your bank first thing tomorrow morning. i bet you get his attention when the funds get pulled from his account. then he can decide whether he wants to finish the build and get all his money or just walk away. either way you are in a much better position than just waiting and worrying.
Wow I had no idea I could do that. Might check that out tomorrow.

I went through a similar experience when I ordered my R&O trailer about 3 yrs. ago. Was told it would take 6 weeks, wound up taking about 4 months.

To his credit, Billy knocked a significant amount off the price due to the delay. He's not much of a business man but he is an artist as a welder. The delay was frustrating but if you can wait it out, you will have a beautiful pit that cooks like a dream.

Good luck.

That's exactly what I thought and why I have been so patient. I know guys that do concrete work, fix cars etc. they got talent but no business skills. I think I got good business skills just no damn talent.

this story is not surprising, granbury isnt exactly what i would call a .....fast moving town....people there are pretty slow and seem to not really care about much.

This is going to be a little long not trying to bash anyone just don't want anyone to have the problems I have had.

In April I decided to bite the bullet and by a trailer smoker. After shopping around for days I decided on a R&O Pitt in Granburry Texas. I read multiple reviews on this site and others like it to be safe, since I live in the Kansas City and they are located in Texas. Everything seemed good so I called and got a quote at the time he said the build time would be 6 weeks. On April 11 I called and placed my order and sent my deposit for the Pitt (several thousand dollars). At that time he told me he had already started a build and now it would only take 4 weeks. April 18 I texted R&O and they received my deposit.
Here's were it goes bad not one time after April 12 have I received a phone call or text initiated by R&O on the status of my pit. I sent texts and left messages serval times on the status of my Pitt. I got a few text back but they were always vague and I could never get a finish date. 6 times I got no reply at all to my Text multiple times I heard I'll stop by the shop and check and then I wouldn't hear anything back. On May 26 I did get a reply to my text that said my Pitt was built just needed sandblasted and painted. Finally in mid-June I drove 600 miles to Granbury to see if the place really existed. The owner wasn't there when I got there but one of the workers was there so I talked to him and looked around. My Pitt wasn't in the shop he said there was one out getting sand blasted maybe that was mine. So I went back home not feeling to bad because the place was there and they had some really nice pits. So I waited 3 more weeks. Thursday I sent a text and said I've had enough I want a refund. I got a text back with an apology and he said he would go check the shop tomorrow and see what's going on. Still haven't heard back from him... It's been 12 weeks of a 6 week build zero customer service if you are planning on buying a Pitt you might want to think twice about these guys.

I went through this same exact thing a few years ago... I sent him a deposit of 3K and kept getting the run around. I was 1 of about 4 guys waiting on a pit. I had to threaten a lawsuit to actually get my $$ back from Billy. Supposedly, he got a big contract to build skids in the oil fields and all of his time was going to that vs pits. This was also around the time that he and his old partner (Robbie) were busting up. Billy went as far as telling me that my pit was finished and that Robbie had stolen it and all the metal. It all worked out in the end because I have a much better pit now... http://www.4tchampion.com/products/trailers/

I'm glad I posted this seems like this has happened before. If I would have read a post like this in April I would have went a different direction and probably be cooking on a new pitt now. I want to thanks everyone for the advice and I will keep you updated on what happens next.

Good luck.

I've never bought one of these pits and I know nothing about the company. But I have seen a few of them and talked to owners and the pits are gorgeous works of art. Hope he gets the communication in line. If you do get a pit, and it's anything like the 3 I have seen you will be thrilled.

Back