Best pork chops I ever cooked

BrewHo

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
BrewHo
Today I tried my second low-and-slow cook on the Akorn. Bottom line up front, result was the best pork chops I’ve ever cooked.

No temperature probe this time. They were about 3/4” thick so I decided to go on time and temp and appearance and feel. Basically nailed it perfectly. They were great, well done, still tender and juicy.

Started with a pair of good chops from my favorite meat market in DC’s Eastern Market. Took them out of the fridge and rubbed with Dizzy Dust then let them warm up as I started the grill. Made a short charcoal snake, three bricks by about a third of the grill (didn’t need a long burn). Started with a few coals in the chimney, placed the deflector and the water/drip pan, then waited. In a few minutes temp gauge showed 200 so I put the chops on. Turned them at 25 minutes, had a little agita that they seemed not to be cooking as fast as I’d expected/wanted but stayed the course. Temp was stable at 250. Turned them again in about half an hour and they looked much better, almost looked done but I decided to give them a little more time because I’m not a fan or rare pork. Started fixing the sides, stir fried spinach heavy on the garlic and the last of my left over rice pilaf. Plated the chops at between 1:15 and 1:30. Enjoyed.

Wow they were great! Best pork chops I’ve ever cooked. I’m liking the Akorn. Easy, gives great results.
Before:
picture.php

After:
picture.php

Looks very nice, loved my Two Akorns, Awesome units.
Question,! I have never used a water Pan in one, you dont miss the Flash/smoke/flavour as juices hit the Deflector?

Looks very nice, loved my Two Akorns, Awesome units.
Question,! I have never used a water Pan in one, you dont miss the Flash/smoke/flavour as juices hit the Deflector?

Dunno what I’m missing... 😉

I’m just starting out, haven’t had enough chance to play around with alternatives to see what differences result. Right now I’m using the water/drip pan because I’ve got it (there’s a story there. It’s a handleless frying pan thrift store purchase that I bought to get the lid. Turns out to be perfectly sized for the drip pan role!) and because I’m using up the last of some apple cider that got too hard to drink.

But if that flavor you describe makes it any better than it already is it will be felonious!

Yeah it was that good.
<big SEG>

Back